Aug 3, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
UConn and head coach Kevin Ollie are now facing questions surrounding the eligibility of top recruit and power forward Kentan Facey.
A 6’8″ forward, Facey was joined in Connecticut’s recruiting class by fellow New York Rens AAU teammate — point guard Terrence Samuel — and now Facey is drawing concerns about his international status before arriving to the United States three years ago from Jamaica.
From a David Borges blog post in the New Haven Register comes some additional details:
Apparently, Kentan Facey’s eligibility has come into question due to an issue that’s been labeled by multiple sources as “international.” The problem doesn’t appear to have anything to do with Facey’s academics or the like, but rather is a “bureaucratic” snafu of some sort.Facey was born in Jamaica and came to America about three years ago.Impossible to tell how much (if at all) this threatens Facey’s availability to play this season, but obviously it’s a situation to monitor.
The NCAA has shown in the past that it can be fickle in cases involving eligibility — often setting no timeframe for a decision on such matters — and sometimes offering little-to-no rhyme or reason for doing so in the first place.
As Ollie looks to continue to rebuild the Huskie program after taking over for Jim Calhoun, he’ll certainly want all of his pieces in-place — including his top recruit — but he’ll have to wait for the NCAA’s decision on Facey.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)