Aug 3, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
We’ve seen a lot of new basketball floors go in this past offseason, and most of them have been colorful and inventive, to say the least.
The latest school to announce that a new court will go in is Marshall, though we don’t know yet what the design will be. Given the school’s unique nickname, I have high hopes.
The Huntington Herald-Dispatch has the lowdown on the costs associated with the new floor, which is actually one of the smaller investments the school is making as far as sports facilities upgrades this summer.
The mainstay of the facilities upgrades are coming through the Vision Campaign, which was launched in 2011 and represent a $30 million project that, once completed, will feature an $8 million soccer complex, an indoor practice facility, Hall of Fame, academic support center and Sports Medicine Translational Research Center.
There has also been $3 million construction of additional luxury suites and a new elevator at Joan C. Edwards Stadium. Hamrick said Friday that project is on time for completion prior to the Aug. 31 football home opener against Miami (Ohio). As soon as that project is finished, renovations will shift to Cam Henderson Center where a new basketball floor will be put down in time for the 2013-14 men’s and women’s basketball season at a cost of $160,912.22.
While the basketball team won’t see much in the way of direct improvement to their own building, the new academic and sports medicine facilities should be a boon to hoopsters as well as the school’s other athletes.
We’ll keep an eye out for the new floor design, with fingers crossed for a rampaging gang of Bison bison as a personal preference.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can Green Bay take the next step, represent the Horizon League in the Tournament? 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)