Aug 5, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Dave Rose landed his first commit for the Class of 2015 after receving a phone call from Bountiful High (Utah) small forward Zac Seljaas on Sunday night. The 6-foot-7 shooter is the first Cougar commit in that recruiting class, picking Provo over other destinations such as Utah State and San Francisco.
Greg Wrubell of KSL.com reported Seljaas’ decision early on Monday morning.
“There was a lot of thinking and a lot of talking with other people about different schools, but I have just always wanted to commit early, just so I could get it out of the way, and focus on my high school season and AAU. I just knew that BYU was the right place,” Seljaas told Wrubell.
“Just the way that the coaches are and the way they talked and then from past players telling me about it, I just felt that it was the right place,” Seljaas continued.
“It’s great because (the coaches) are all friends, and you can tell that when you talk to all of them. Coach Rose is a great coach, and he has great records in everything that he has done; he’s just an amazing coach.”
He recently shined at last month’s Fab 48 in Las Vegas for his AAU team, Utah Prospects, where he connected on 15 threes over two games.
An early commitment from this rising junior gives Rose and BYU an idea of what their roster will look like for the 2015-2016 season. Leading scorer Tyler Haws finishes career in the spring of 2015. Haws’ younger brother, T.J., pledged to BYU for the fall of 2014, though, he said in April his plan is to take a two-year mission following his senior year at Lone Peak High (Utah).
Seljaas ended his sophomore season with averaging 15 points, four rebounds and three assists per game.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)