Aug 5, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
Dave Rose landed his first commit for the Class of 2015 after receving a phone call from Bountiful High (Utah) small forward Zac Seljaas on Sunday night. The 6-foot-7 shooter is the first Cougar commit in that recruiting class, picking Provo over other destinations such as Utah State and San Francisco.
Greg Wrubell of KSL.com reported Seljaas’ decision early on Monday morning.
“There was a lot of thinking and a lot of talking with other people about different schools, but I have just always wanted to commit early, just so I could get it out of the way, and focus on my high school season and AAU. I just knew that BYU was the right place,” Seljaas told Wrubell.
“Just the way that the coaches are and the way they talked and then from past players telling me about it, I just felt that it was the right place,” Seljaas continued.
“It’s great because (the coaches) are all friends, and you can tell that when you talk to all of them. Coach Rose is a great coach, and he has great records in everything that he has done; he’s just an amazing coach.”
He recently shined at last month’s Fab 48 in Las Vegas for his AAU team, Utah Prospects, where he connected on 15 threes over two games.
An early commitment from this rising junior gives Rose and BYU an idea of what their roster will look like for the 2015-2016 season. Leading scorer Tyler Haws finishes career in the spring of 2015. Haws’ younger brother, T.J., pledged to BYU for the fall of 2014, though, he said in April his plan is to take a two-year mission following his senior year at Lone Peak High (Utah).
Seljaas ended his sophomore season with averaging 15 points, four rebounds and three assists per game.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)