Aug 5, 2013, 12:06 AM EST
In addition to welcoming some of the country’s best prep talent, the adidas Nations camp in Los Angeles also brings together some of the better college basketball players who serve as counselors for the event.
One of those counselors was none other than Louisville sophomore forward Montrezl Harrell, who with the departure of big man Gorgui Dieng will be asked to do more of the heavy lifting after serving as a reserve on a team that won the national title in April.
There was a bit of a scare on Saturday, as Harrell went down with a knee injury that forced him to return to Louisville.
The immediate question was just how serious was Harrell’s injury, but according to Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld the 6-8 power forward underwent an MRI that showed no damage to the knee. To say the least this would be good news for Louisville as they look to defend their national title in 2013-14.
This has been a busy offseason for Harrell, who averaged 5.7 points and 3.6 rebounds in just over 16 minutes per game as a freshman. Also a member of the United States’ under-19 team, Harrell averaged 10.6 points and 3.7 rebounds per game on a team that won the Under-19 World Championships last month in Prague, Czech Republic.
Louisville doesn’t lack for depth in the front court, with NCAA tournament MOP Luke Hancock (8.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg) and upperclassmen Chane Behanan (9.8, 6.5) and Stephan Van Treese (1.7, 3.1) all back from last season’s team. Also looking to crack the rotation in 2013-14 are 6-10 center Mangok Mathiang, who redshirted last season, and 6-9 freshman Akoy Agau.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)