Aug 5, 2013, 12:06 AM EDT
In addition to welcoming some of the country’s best prep talent, the adidas Nations camp in Los Angeles also brings together some of the better college basketball players who serve as counselors for the event.
One of those counselors was none other than Louisville sophomore forward Montrezl Harrell, who with the departure of big man Gorgui Dieng will be asked to do more of the heavy lifting after serving as a reserve on a team that won the national title in April.
There was a bit of a scare on Saturday, as Harrell went down with a knee injury that forced him to return to Louisville.
The immediate question was just how serious was Harrell’s injury, but according to Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld the 6-8 power forward underwent an MRI that showed no damage to the knee. To say the least this would be good news for Louisville as they look to defend their national title in 2013-14.
This has been a busy offseason for Harrell, who averaged 5.7 points and 3.6 rebounds in just over 16 minutes per game as a freshman. Also a member of the United States’ under-19 team, Harrell averaged 10.6 points and 3.7 rebounds per game on a team that won the Under-19 World Championships last month in Prague, Czech Republic.
Louisville doesn’t lack for depth in the front court, with NCAA tournament MOP Luke Hancock (8.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg) and upperclassmen Chane Behanan (9.8, 6.5) and Stephan Van Treese (1.7, 3.1) all back from last season’s team. Also looking to crack the rotation in 2013-14 are 6-10 center Mangok Mathiang, who redshirted last season, and 6-9 freshman Akoy Agau.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)