Aug 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Jabari Parker is the most notable Duke newcomer this season. Although Rodney Hood is also expected to play a large role for the Blue Devils this winter. On Tuesday, the team announced that Hood is back from an injury he suffered back in late June.
While trying out for the World University Games with USA Basketball, Hood was sidelined with what Cameron Crazies feared could be a torn right Achilles tendon, though, it was diagnosed as a sprain. Six weeks later and ESPN senior writer Andy Katz reported — as part of ESPN’s 3-point shot — that Hood was fully back.
He is completely recovered,” said Duke associate coach Steve Wojciechowski. “He has participated in summer workouts.”
Hood will be one of the more talked about impact transfer players this season. The 6-foot-8 Hood began his career at Mississippi State, averaging 10.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game and earning SEC All-Freshman team honors in 2011. He then transferred to Duke and sat out this past season due to NCAA rules.
He along with Parker are a key fixtures in a perimeter dominant Blue Devils team this season.
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)