Aug 6, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
Kareem Richardson has had a good week for his first recruiting class as the University of Missouri-Kansas City head coach, and it’s only Tuesday evening.
Olathe South Senior High (Kan.) shooting guard Noah Knight became Richardson’s first commit. The 6-foot-2 shooting guard landed a scholarship offer from UMKC on July 15, and picked the Kangaroos on Monday night, according to his AAU team MoKan Elite.
Less than 24 hours later, Cahokia High School (Ill.) small forward joined Knight in Richardson’s inaugural recruiting class. The 6-foot-6 small forward Darius Austin was also considering DePaul, Drake, Indiana State and Murray State. Austin will be a versatile player for Richardson, serving as a point forward.
“I built a relationship with Coach Richardson when he was at Xavier,” Austin told Nate Latsch of STLToday.com. “He was recruiting me when he was at Xavier, and it was a special relationship. He stayed consistent. He never backed off. He stayed on me. When he was at Louisville, he recruited me there. Then he recruited me hard at UMKC and stayed on me. I felt like that was the right place for me.”
Hours later, Seward County Community College (Kan.) 6-foot-8 forward Thaddeus Smith became No. 3 for Richardson in the two-day span, according to Rivals National Basketball Recruiting Analyst Eric Bossi.
Richardson was hired on Mar. 19 after serving as an assistant coach on Louisville’s national championship team this past season. He takes over for Matt Brown, who was fired after an 8-24 (5-11 Summit) record in 2012-2013. The Kangaroos are moving from the Summit League to the Western Athletic Conference this season.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)