Aug 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
St. John’s filled it’s opening on the coaching staff by adding Saint Louis associate head coach Jim Whitesell, the school announced on Monday.
“Jim Whitesell’s numerous coaching stops and 24 years of head coaching experiences at the highest levels of collegiate competition is a nice complement to our specialized staff,” said Lavin in a school statement. “Coach Whitesell joining our basketball family gives our staff more than 110 years of combined coaching experience. We are pleased to have Jim on board as a Johnnie.”
“I am very excited about joining the St. John’s basketball family,” said Whitesell. “SJU has such a fantastic Basketball tradition. The opportunity to work with. Steve Lavin and his staff is incredible as Steve is building a very special program at SJU. I am looking forward to being part of it and helping in any way possible.”
Last Wednesday, St. John’s Director of Basketball Operations Moe Hicks decided to leave the program to rejoin the high school ranks. Whitesell will serve as an assistant coach alongside Tony Chiles and Rico Hines. Darrick Martin will replace Hicks in the role of Director of Basketball Operations this season.
Whitesell spent the past two seasons at Saint Louis helping the Billikens earn an NCAA tournament bid this season. He has seven years of expereince as a head coach, serving on the Loyola (Ill.) sideline from 2004-2011.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)