Aug 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
St. John’s filled it’s opening on the coaching staff by adding Saint Louis associate head coach Jim Whitesell, the school announced on Monday.
“Jim Whitesell’s numerous coaching stops and 24 years of head coaching experiences at the highest levels of collegiate competition is a nice complement to our specialized staff,” said Lavin in a school statement. “Coach Whitesell joining our basketball family gives our staff more than 110 years of combined coaching experience. We are pleased to have Jim on board as a Johnnie.”
“I am very excited about joining the St. John’s basketball family,” said Whitesell. “SJU has such a fantastic Basketball tradition. The opportunity to work with. Steve Lavin and his staff is incredible as Steve is building a very special program at SJU. I am looking forward to being part of it and helping in any way possible.”
Last Wednesday, St. John’s Director of Basketball Operations Moe Hicks decided to leave the program to rejoin the high school ranks. Whitesell will serve as an assistant coach alongside Tony Chiles and Rico Hines. Darrick Martin will replace Hicks in the role of Director of Basketball Operations this season.
Whitesell spent the past two seasons at Saint Louis helping the Billikens earn an NCAA tournament bid this season. He has seven years of expereince as a head coach, serving on the Loyola (Ill.) sideline from 2004-2011.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)