Aug 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
St. John’s filled it’s opening on the coaching staff by adding Saint Louis associate head coach Jim Whitesell, the school announced on Monday.
“Jim Whitesell’s numerous coaching stops and 24 years of head coaching experiences at the highest levels of collegiate competition is a nice complement to our specialized staff,” said Lavin in a school statement. “Coach Whitesell joining our basketball family gives our staff more than 110 years of combined coaching experience. We are pleased to have Jim on board as a Johnnie.”
“I am very excited about joining the St. John’s basketball family,” said Whitesell. “SJU has such a fantastic Basketball tradition. The opportunity to work with. Steve Lavin and his staff is incredible as Steve is building a very special program at SJU. I am looking forward to being part of it and helping in any way possible.”
Last Wednesday, St. John’s Director of Basketball Operations Moe Hicks decided to leave the program to rejoin the high school ranks. Whitesell will serve as an assistant coach alongside Tony Chiles and Rico Hines. Darrick Martin will replace Hicks in the role of Director of Basketball Operations this season.
Whitesell spent the past two seasons at Saint Louis helping the Billikens earn an NCAA tournament bid this season. He has seven years of expereince as a head coach, serving on the Loyola (Ill.) sideline from 2004-2011.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)