Aug 7, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Former Indiana guard Devan Dumes is in more legal hot water following a July 24th traffic stop in which he possessed illegal drugs, an unlicensed firearm and also attempted to flee police, according to an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department report.
The charges have led to a Thursday hearing in which Dumes will face a judge in the Marion Superior Court to determine whether he violated conditions for his release while he awaits trial for a January incident — in which he faces attempted murder and several other charges — following the shooting of Keith Jones in the neck during an alleged dispute over the purchase of a Chevrolet Camaro.
Bill McCleery of the USA Today also notes that Dumes has other hearings scheduled as well.
That arrest constitutes a violation of the terms under which Dumes, 25, of Indianapolis, has been allowed to live outside of jail pending his trial, said A.J. Deer, a spokesman for the Marion County prosecutor.The drugs found in Dumes’ possession included cocaine, Deer said.The ex-player has another hearing — on Aug. 21 — in connection solely to the drugs-and-firearms case now stemming from the July 24 arrest.A judge this week must first determine whether Dumes will remain in jail on the attempted murder charge.
Dumes is also scheduled for a September 10th pre-trial hearing for a theft case in which he is accused of possessing a stolen handgun and also having possession of marijuana.
All three hearings that the 25-year old Dumes is scheduled to appear at will be heard at the Marion Superior Court.
Dumes started his collegiate career at Eastern Michigan, before transferring to junior college power Vincennes University, and spending his final two seasons at Indiana.
Dumes is currently being held at the Marion County Jail according to Marion County prosecutor spokesman A.J. Deer.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)