Aug 7, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
A few months before the FGCU Eagles went on their NCAA tournament run that captivated fans throughout the country, 6-7 forward Jordan Neff signed his National Letter of Intent to play for the Atlantic Sun school.
Having led North Cobb (Ga.) High School to a 26-5 record, the Kennesaw native was a newcomer many were excited about even with the change in head coach from Andy Enfield (now at USC) to Joe Dooley. However, plans have changed.
On Wednesday afternoon the school announced that Neff has decided to leave the program, citing family concerns as the reason for his departure. Neff, who averaged 16.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 3.8 blocks per game last season, will attend Gordon State College (Ga.) according to the Naples (Fla.) Daily News.
“I’d like to thank coach Dooley, the staff and my teammates for helping me improve on and off the floor the past few months,” Neff said in the release announcing his decision. “While this is a difficult decision for me to make, I know that at this time it is the right one for not only me but also my family. I wish my teammates and FGCU all the best this year.”
While the loss of a valuable commit is never celebrated, FGCU won’t be crippled by Neff’s departure. The Eagles lost just two seniors from last season’s team (guard Sherwood Brown and forward Eddie Murray), and with four starters returning there’s more than enough experience for coach Dooley to work with.
There’s also the addition of Marquette transfer Jamail Jones, who’s now eligible to play after sitting out the 2012-13 season per NCAA transfer rules. With Neff’s decision to leave the program FGCU will add just one freshman this year, 6-7 forward Logan Hovey, with three Division I transfers sitting out the 2013-14 campaign.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)