Aug 7, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
The last time Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger and his son Kevin Kruger were together in the same program, it led to a Sweet 16 appearance. Now the Krugers are hoping to re-capture some of that magic as Kevin will join his father on Oklahoma’s staff as the new graduate assistant, according to Kevin’s Twitter account.
As you may recall, Kevin Kruger joined the UNLV basketball program as a redshirt senior during the 2006-07 season when Lon was coaching the Running Rebels and helped lead the program to its first Sweet 16 appearance since the 1990-91 team lost in the Final Four.
Oklahoma made the round of 64 last season — the first time in four seasons — and lost to San Diego State, but maybe the Krugers have some more deep tournament runs in them.
Thirty-year old Kevin Kruger joins the Sooner staff after spending time playing basketball professionally, including time in the NBA D-League and leagues in Belgium, Bulgaria, Italy and Mexico.
Kevin spent the first three seasons of his collegiate career at Arizona State as the 6’2″ guard averaged 11.3 points per game during his four-year college career.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)