Aug 7, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The last time Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger and his son Kevin Kruger were together in the same program, it led to a Sweet 16 appearance. Now the Krugers are hoping to re-capture some of that magic as Kevin will join his father on Oklahoma’s staff as the new graduate assistant, according to Kevin’s Twitter account.
As you may recall, Kevin Kruger joined the UNLV basketball program as a redshirt senior during the 2006-07 season when Lon was coaching the Running Rebels and helped lead the program to its first Sweet 16 appearance since the 1990-91 team lost in the Final Four.
Oklahoma made the round of 64 last season — the first time in four seasons — and lost to San Diego State, but maybe the Krugers have some more deep tournament runs in them.
Thirty-year old Kevin Kruger joins the Sooner staff after spending time playing basketball professionally, including time in the NBA D-League and leagues in Belgium, Bulgaria, Italy and Mexico.
Kevin spent the first three seasons of his collegiate career at Arizona State as the 6’2″ guard averaged 11.3 points per game during his four-year college career.
- South Region Preview: Can anyone stop the Florida Gators? 0
- East Region Preview: Are Michigan State and Iowa State the two best teams? 1
- West Region Preview: Arizona rules, but chaos could reign 2
- Midwest Region Preview: Is 4-seed Louisville the favorite? 2
- POSTERIZED: Dunks of the Year compilation missing the Dunk of the Year (VIDEO) 0
- TV schedules, announcer pairings for 2014 NCAA Tournament 0
- Conference breakdown for 2014 NCAA Tournament 0
- Should Virginia be the fourth one-seed? 6
- Florida, Wichita State, Arizona, Virginia claim No. 1 seeds 2
- Final Bracketology: Florida is your overall No. 1 seed 5
- Was Duke’s Rodney Hood fouled by Clemson? You make the call (VIDEO) (21)
- Bracketology: Final No. 1 seed still a question mark (16)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Big Ten Tournament: Michigan survives furious Ohio State comeback (9)
- 2014 NCAA Tournament South Region: Instant Analysis (9)