Aug 7, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The last time Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger and his son Kevin Kruger were together in the same program, it led to a Sweet 16 appearance. Now the Krugers are hoping to re-capture some of that magic as Kevin will join his father on Oklahoma’s staff as the new graduate assistant, according to Kevin’s Twitter account.
As you may recall, Kevin Kruger joined the UNLV basketball program as a redshirt senior during the 2006-07 season when Lon was coaching the Running Rebels and helped lead the program to its first Sweet 16 appearance since the 1990-91 team lost in the Final Four.
Oklahoma made the round of 64 last season — the first time in four seasons — and lost to San Diego State, but maybe the Krugers have some more deep tournament runs in them.
Thirty-year old Kevin Kruger joins the Sooner staff after spending time playing basketball professionally, including time in the NBA D-League and leagues in Belgium, Bulgaria, Italy and Mexico.
Kevin spent the first three seasons of his collegiate career at Arizona State as the 6’2″ guard averaged 11.3 points per game during his four-year college career.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)