Aug 8, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major landed his first commitment in the 2014 class, and he didn’t have to travel far in order to do so either.
As first reported by Justin Byerly, Northside Christian H.S. (Charlotte, N.C.) shooting guard Keyshawn Woods verbally committed to attend the Conference USA school. The 6-4 Woods helped lead Northside Christian to a class 2A state title this past season, earning NCISAA all-state honors (as did teammate James Demery, who like Woods is a 2014 prospect).
Woods will join a program that in 2013 begins its second stint in Conference USA, returning to the league after spending the past seven years in the Atlantic 10. Major’s 49ers finished the 2012-13 season with a 21-12 record (8-8 Atlantic 10), falling to Providence in the first round of the Postseason NIT.
Charlotte will have to account for the departure of forward Chris Braswell, but they do welcome back guard Pierra Henry (10.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg) and forward Willie Clayton (8.5, 6.2).
In regards to the position Woods will play at the next level, Charlotte’s most experienced returnees at shooting guard in 2013-14 are Terrence Williams (7.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg) and Ivan Benkovic (2.6 ppg), with both players failing to shoot better than 40% from the field last season. However, Benkovic did manage to make 40.4% of his shots from beyond the arc, making 23 three-pointers on the season.
Both will have eligibility remaining when the 2014-15 season rolls around, meaning that Woods will not lack for competition at shooting guard when he arrives on campus. And with Charlotte still having a few scholarships remaining (three, to be exact), it’s likely that Woods won’t be the only newcomer in his class.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)