Aug 8, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major landed his first commitment in the 2014 class, and he didn’t have to travel far in order to do so either.
As first reported by Justin Byerly, Northside Christian H.S. (Charlotte, N.C.) shooting guard Keyshawn Woods verbally committed to attend the Conference USA school. The 6-4 Woods helped lead Northside Christian to a class 2A state title this past season, earning NCISAA all-state honors (as did teammate James Demery, who like Woods is a 2014 prospect).
Woods will join a program that in 2013 begins its second stint in Conference USA, returning to the league after spending the past seven years in the Atlantic 10. Major’s 49ers finished the 2012-13 season with a 21-12 record (8-8 Atlantic 10), falling to Providence in the first round of the Postseason NIT.
Charlotte will have to account for the departure of forward Chris Braswell, but they do welcome back guard Pierra Henry (10.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg) and forward Willie Clayton (8.5, 6.2).
In regards to the position Woods will play at the next level, Charlotte’s most experienced returnees at shooting guard in 2013-14 are Terrence Williams (7.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg) and Ivan Benkovic (2.6 ppg), with both players failing to shoot better than 40% from the field last season. However, Benkovic did manage to make 40.4% of his shots from beyond the arc, making 23 three-pointers on the season.
Both will have eligibility remaining when the 2014-15 season rolls around, meaning that Woods will not lack for competition at shooting guard when he arrives on campus. And with Charlotte still having a few scholarships remaining (three, to be exact), it’s likely that Woods won’t be the only newcomer in his class.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)