Aug 8, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major landed his first commitment in the 2014 class, and he didn’t have to travel far in order to do so either.
As first reported by Justin Byerly, Northside Christian H.S. (Charlotte, N.C.) shooting guard Keyshawn Woods verbally committed to attend the Conference USA school. The 6-4 Woods helped lead Northside Christian to a class 2A state title this past season, earning NCISAA all-state honors (as did teammate James Demery, who like Woods is a 2014 prospect).
Woods will join a program that in 2013 begins its second stint in Conference USA, returning to the league after spending the past seven years in the Atlantic 10. Major’s 49ers finished the 2012-13 season with a 21-12 record (8-8 Atlantic 10), falling to Providence in the first round of the Postseason NIT.
Charlotte will have to account for the departure of forward Chris Braswell, but they do welcome back guard Pierra Henry (10.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg) and forward Willie Clayton (8.5, 6.2).
In regards to the position Woods will play at the next level, Charlotte’s most experienced returnees at shooting guard in 2013-14 are Terrence Williams (7.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg) and Ivan Benkovic (2.6 ppg), with both players failing to shoot better than 40% from the field last season. However, Benkovic did manage to make 40.4% of his shots from beyond the arc, making 23 three-pointers on the season.
Both will have eligibility remaining when the 2014-15 season rolls around, meaning that Woods will not lack for competition at shooting guard when he arrives on campus. And with Charlotte still having a few scholarships remaining (three, to be exact), it’s likely that Woods won’t be the only newcomer in his class.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)