Aug 9, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
One of the biggest storylines on the recruiting circuit is the possibility of 2014 prospects Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones choosing the same school when the time comes. Of course this has turned into “fact” in some circles, with Okafor’s AAU coach recently stating that he believes both players will attend Duke.
However, in a story by Scott Powers of ESPN Chicago which also revealed when the 6-10 big man who attends Whitney Young High School will take his five official visits, Okafor’s father says that the constant rumors are “taking the fun” out of the recruiting process for the two young men.
“It’s disappointing. It’s taking the fun out of the process for the two boys,” Okafor’s father, Chukwudi Okafor, said by phone on Friday. “That’s a shame. Let the kids go through the process. I just want them to enjoy it, not the media, not Twitter, not the coaches, not the AAU coaches. Those kids are highly intelligent. They know what to do. Let it play out, and I think the world is in for something special.
“They’re going to make their decision. Everybody is saying they say this and they say that. It’s not fair to them. It’s not fair to the other schools. It’s not fair to Duke. They might want to go to Duke, but decide not to go there because everyone is saying that’s where they’re going. I’d hate for that to happen.”
This all comes just days after Okafor stated via his Twitter account that he doesn’t have a leader and for people to “stop with the rumors.” So when will Okafor take his five official visits?
According to Powers’ report Okafor’s college tour will begin on August 30, when both he and Jones visit Baylor. The other four visits are: Kentucky (September 9), Arizona (October 11), Kansas (October 18) and Duke (October 25). In addition to Baylor, Okafor and Jones will visit Kansas and Duke the same weekend. In addition to those official visits, Okafor will visit Illinois, Michigan State and Ohio State unofficially.
No timeline was given y by Okafor’s father in the story regarding when Jahlil will make a decision. And until then, much to the chagrin of the principal figures the recruiting rumor mill will continue to churn. That’s the nature of the beast, for better or for worse.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)