Aug 10, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Elite international 2014 prospect Dante Exum has some options. Exum used to heavily favor the college route, but now appears to also be looking towards the NBA Draft.
Since Exum was born in 1995 — he turned 18 on July 13th — and born outside of the United States, he has the option to enter the NBA Draft in 2014 with a potentially loaded crop of candidates.
A 6’6″ guard that can run point or score, Exum drew rave reviews for his play at the U19 World Championships and was recently called up to the senior Australian national team, and he’s also looking seriously into the NBA process.
Here’s what Peter Rolfe of the Melbourne Herald-Sun reported:
Softly spoken Exum now faces the biggest decision of his young life – nominate for next year’s NBA draft and become an instant millionaire, or take a free scholarship at a US university and continue his development.“It’s a lot of pressure but it’s better to be talking about having that option than not having it,” he said.“I used to be like 90 per cent to 10 that I was going to college, but recently they are saying that my stock has risen even more, that I could possibly go top five. Now it’s more of a 50-50 decision.”
Dante’s dad Cecil was a North Carolina alum that played with Michael Jordan and Dante has also visited Indiana, but with his draft stock going higher, we might unfortunately never get the chance to see Exum play college ball.
The article went on to list the schools involved with Exum as being Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky and North Carolina. Although other schools have been named in his recruitment in the past as well, it’s unclear if Exum has formed any kind of list.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)