Aug 10, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Elite international 2014 prospect Dante Exum has some options. Exum used to heavily favor the college route, but now appears to also be looking towards the NBA Draft.
Since Exum was born in 1995 — he turned 18 on July 13th — and born outside of the United States, he has the option to enter the NBA Draft in 2014 with a potentially loaded crop of candidates.
A 6’6″ guard that can run point or score, Exum drew rave reviews for his play at the U19 World Championships and was recently called up to the senior Australian national team, and he’s also looking seriously into the NBA process.
Here’s what Peter Rolfe of the Melbourne Herald-Sun reported:
Softly spoken Exum now faces the biggest decision of his young life – nominate for next year’s NBA draft and become an instant millionaire, or take a free scholarship at a US university and continue his development.“It’s a lot of pressure but it’s better to be talking about having that option than not having it,” he said.“I used to be like 90 per cent to 10 that I was going to college, but recently they are saying that my stock has risen even more, that I could possibly go top five. Now it’s more of a 50-50 decision.”
Dante’s dad Cecil was a North Carolina alum that played with Michael Jordan and Dante has also visited Indiana, but with his draft stock going higher, we might unfortunately never get the chance to see Exum play college ball.
The article went on to list the schools involved with Exum as being Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky and North Carolina. Although other schools have been named in his recruitment in the past as well, it’s unclear if Exum has formed any kind of list.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)