Aug 10, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Elite international 2014 prospect Dante Exum has some options. Exum used to heavily favor the college route, but now appears to also be looking towards the NBA Draft.
Since Exum was born in 1995 — he turned 18 on July 13th — and born outside of the United States, he has the option to enter the NBA Draft in 2014 with a potentially loaded crop of candidates.
A 6’6″ guard that can run point or score, Exum drew rave reviews for his play at the U19 World Championships and was recently called up to the senior Australian national team, and he’s also looking seriously into the NBA process.
Here’s what Peter Rolfe of the Melbourne Herald-Sun reported:
Softly spoken Exum now faces the biggest decision of his young life – nominate for next year’s NBA draft and become an instant millionaire, or take a free scholarship at a US university and continue his development.“It’s a lot of pressure but it’s better to be talking about having that option than not having it,” he said.“I used to be like 90 per cent to 10 that I was going to college, but recently they are saying that my stock has risen even more, that I could possibly go top five. Now it’s more of a 50-50 decision.”
Dante’s dad Cecil was a North Carolina alum that played with Michael Jordan and Dante has also visited Indiana, but with his draft stock going higher, we might unfortunately never get the chance to see Exum play college ball.
The article went on to list the schools involved with Exum as being Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky and North Carolina. Although other schools have been named in his recruitment in the past as well, it’s unclear if Exum has formed any kind of list.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)