Aug 10, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
When James Blackmon, Jr. rescinded his verbal commitment to Indiana, Tom Crean wasted no time looking for a replacement.
And, if you’re Indiana, a replacement means one of the most coveted guards in the class of 2014.
Per Hoosier-centric blog Inside the Hall, Crean officially offered New Yorker Isaiah Whitehead a scholarship on Friday night.
It may seem a little late for the Hoosiers to jump into the fray with Whitehead, who has offers on the table from Arizona, Kansas and the defending national champs at Louisville. With Blackmon opening up his recruitment, however, there’s no doubt that Crean has playing time to offer.
Whether Blackmon decides to honor his commitment – still on the table per his father – or not, Crean has hedged his bets at the point guard position fairly well, as Inside the Hall points out:
Whitehead has said recently he plans to commit in the fall, by November, so Indiana is getting in quite late. But the Hoosiers have had success in such scenarios lately, landing 2013 forward Troy Williams after other schools had spent considerably more time recruiting him.
With the offer to Whitehead, Indiana is now recruiting four 2014 guards hard. The others are Australian point guard Dante Exum, Robert Johnson and Louisville decommit Quentin Snider. Snider has not yet been offered by the Hoosiers.
This right here is the luxury of being a blue-chip program. Plenty of options, and a high enough profile that a hat thrown in the ring late can still yield results. Nice work if you can get it.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)