Aug 10, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
When James Blackmon, Jr. rescinded his verbal commitment to Indiana, Tom Crean wasted no time looking for a replacement.
And, if you’re Indiana, a replacement means one of the most coveted guards in the class of 2014.
Per Hoosier-centric blog Inside the Hall, Crean officially offered New Yorker Isaiah Whitehead a scholarship on Friday night.
It may seem a little late for the Hoosiers to jump into the fray with Whitehead, who has offers on the table from Arizona, Kansas and the defending national champs at Louisville. With Blackmon opening up his recruitment, however, there’s no doubt that Crean has playing time to offer.
Whether Blackmon decides to honor his commitment – still on the table per his father – or not, Crean has hedged his bets at the point guard position fairly well, as Inside the Hall points out:
Whitehead has said recently he plans to commit in the fall, by November, so Indiana is getting in quite late. But the Hoosiers have had success in such scenarios lately, landing 2013 forward Troy Williams after other schools had spent considerably more time recruiting him.
With the offer to Whitehead, Indiana is now recruiting four 2014 guards hard. The others are Australian point guard Dante Exum, Robert Johnson and Louisville decommit Quentin Snider. Snider has not yet been offered by the Hoosiers.
This right here is the luxury of being a blue-chip program. Plenty of options, and a high enough profile that a hat thrown in the ring late can still yield results. Nice work if you can get it.
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (18)