Aug 10, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
With Virginia losing a few transfers and dealing with injuries to seniors Joe Harris (stress fracture in foot) and Akil Mitchell (broken bone in hand), it was important for the sophomore trio of Justin Anderson, Evan Nolte and Mike Tobey to develop in the offseason in preparation for a difficult 2013-14 ACC season.
Anderson, Nolte and Tobey have been three of the biggest improvers for Virginia this offseason according to a report from Whitelaw Reid of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Strength and Conditioning Mike Curtis has been giving head coach Tony Bennett updates and consistently has good news on Anderson, Nolte and Tobey.
While Tobey and Nolte are focused on adding muscle, Anderson has a different program since his physique is already NBA-level.Anderson, who had the physique of an NBA player before he even got to Virginia, has had a slightly different training regimen from Tobey and Nolte.Curtis said the goal this summer for Anderson, 6-6 and 225 pounds, was to gain “more trunk strength and postural stability.”“He’s been able to move a little bit better,” Curtis said, “and not kind of get going one way and not be able to stop the train.”
The 6’11” Tobey has added 20 pounds in muscle to go up to 247 while Nolte has added 17 pounds to increase to 225 pounds as a 6’8″ forward.
The difference has been noticeable in pick-up games as Curtis notes the three are doing new things this summer.
In recent pickup games, Curtis has detected a difference in Tobey, Nolte and Anderson.
“They’ve been more physical and have done things they haven’t done before,” Curtis said, “so, hopefully, that translates when it’s time for us to get out there.”
Virginia will need the three of them to contribute this season as the seniors come back from injury.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)