Aug 10, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
With Virginia losing a few transfers and dealing with injuries to seniors Joe Harris (stress fracture in foot) and Akil Mitchell (broken bone in hand), it was important for the sophomore trio of Justin Anderson, Evan Nolte and Mike Tobey to develop in the offseason in preparation for a difficult 2013-14 ACC season.
Anderson, Nolte and Tobey have been three of the biggest improvers for Virginia this offseason according to a report from Whitelaw Reid of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Strength and Conditioning Mike Curtis has been giving head coach Tony Bennett updates and consistently has good news on Anderson, Nolte and Tobey.
While Tobey and Nolte are focused on adding muscle, Anderson has a different program since his physique is already NBA-level.Anderson, who had the physique of an NBA player before he even got to Virginia, has had a slightly different training regimen from Tobey and Nolte.Curtis said the goal this summer for Anderson, 6-6 and 225 pounds, was to gain “more trunk strength and postural stability.”“He’s been able to move a little bit better,” Curtis said, “and not kind of get going one way and not be able to stop the train.”
The 6’11” Tobey has added 20 pounds in muscle to go up to 247 while Nolte has added 17 pounds to increase to 225 pounds as a 6’8″ forward.
The difference has been noticeable in pick-up games as Curtis notes the three are doing new things this summer.
In recent pickup games, Curtis has detected a difference in Tobey, Nolte and Anderson.
“They’ve been more physical and have done things they haven’t done before,” Curtis said, “so, hopefully, that translates when it’s time for us to get out there.”
Virginia will need the three of them to contribute this season as the seniors come back from injury.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)