Aug 10, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
With Virginia losing a few transfers and dealing with injuries to seniors Joe Harris (stress fracture in foot) and Akil Mitchell (broken bone in hand), it was important for the sophomore trio of Justin Anderson, Evan Nolte and Mike Tobey to develop in the offseason in preparation for a difficult 2013-14 ACC season.
Anderson, Nolte and Tobey have been three of the biggest improvers for Virginia this offseason according to a report from Whitelaw Reid of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Strength and Conditioning Mike Curtis has been giving head coach Tony Bennett updates and consistently has good news on Anderson, Nolte and Tobey.
While Tobey and Nolte are focused on adding muscle, Anderson has a different program since his physique is already NBA-level.Anderson, who had the physique of an NBA player before he even got to Virginia, has had a slightly different training regimen from Tobey and Nolte.Curtis said the goal this summer for Anderson, 6-6 and 225 pounds, was to gain “more trunk strength and postural stability.”“He’s been able to move a little bit better,” Curtis said, “and not kind of get going one way and not be able to stop the train.”
The 6’11” Tobey has added 20 pounds in muscle to go up to 247 while Nolte has added 17 pounds to increase to 225 pounds as a 6’8″ forward.
The difference has been noticeable in pick-up games as Curtis notes the three are doing new things this summer.
In recent pickup games, Curtis has detected a difference in Tobey, Nolte and Anderson.
“They’ve been more physical and have done things they haven’t done before,” Curtis said, “so, hopefully, that translates when it’s time for us to get out there.”
Virginia will need the three of them to contribute this season as the seniors come back from injury.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)