Aug 10, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
With Virginia losing a few transfers and dealing with injuries to seniors Joe Harris (stress fracture in foot) and Akil Mitchell (broken bone in hand), it was important for the sophomore trio of Justin Anderson, Evan Nolte and Mike Tobey to develop in the offseason in preparation for a difficult 2013-14 ACC season.
Anderson, Nolte and Tobey have been three of the biggest improvers for Virginia this offseason according to a report from Whitelaw Reid of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Strength and Conditioning Mike Curtis has been giving head coach Tony Bennett updates and consistently has good news on Anderson, Nolte and Tobey.
While Tobey and Nolte are focused on adding muscle, Anderson has a different program since his physique is already NBA-level.Anderson, who had the physique of an NBA player before he even got to Virginia, has had a slightly different training regimen from Tobey and Nolte.Curtis said the goal this summer for Anderson, 6-6 and 225 pounds, was to gain “more trunk strength and postural stability.”“He’s been able to move a little bit better,” Curtis said, “and not kind of get going one way and not be able to stop the train.”
The 6’11” Tobey has added 20 pounds in muscle to go up to 247 while Nolte has added 17 pounds to increase to 225 pounds as a 6’8″ forward.
The difference has been noticeable in pick-up games as Curtis notes the three are doing new things this summer.
In recent pickup games, Curtis has detected a difference in Tobey, Nolte and Anderson.
“They’ve been more physical and have done things they haven’t done before,” Curtis said, “so, hopefully, that translates when it’s time for us to get out there.”
Virginia will need the three of them to contribute this season as the seniors come back from injury.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)