Aug 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
First year Drake head coach Ray Giacoletti received a verbal commitment from Reed Timmer, a point guard from New Berlin, WI, on Sunday morning.
Timmer is a 6-foot-1 strong point guard with an exceptional shot, but his game extends further than just scoring the basketball.
Although he averaged nearly 25 points per game during his junior season en route to being named the Woodland Conference Player of the Year and the NOW Newspapers All-Suburban Basketball Team, Timmer is a good facilitator, as well.
Timmer announced his commitment to Drake via Twitter:
In a New Berlin NOW article from March earlier this year, Timmer’s head coach Dave Scheidegger had some high praise for his lefty point guard: “He’s my X-factor, my ace in the hole. He is phenomenal; there is not a weakness in his game. Flat out the toughest player I ever coached…All season long teams were in his face, but he never lost composure. Despite all his scoring stats, he made everyone better.”
To go along with Drake, Timmer had offers from several other mid-major schools throughout the midwest, namely strong Summit League programs North Dakota State and South Dakota State.
Ever since their strong season in 2007-08 where they won 28 games en route to a #5 seed in the NCAA Tournament under Keno Davis, Drake has been mired in a state of mediocrity. In what will be his second season at Drake when Timmer enters into the program, Giacoletti may have his point guard of the future, and one that will take the Bulldogs back to the NCAA Tournament.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)