Aug 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
First year Drake head coach Ray Giacoletti received a verbal commitment from Reed Timmer, a point guard from New Berlin, WI, on Sunday morning.
Timmer is a 6-foot-1 strong point guard with an exceptional shot, but his game extends further than just scoring the basketball.
Although he averaged nearly 25 points per game during his junior season en route to being named the Woodland Conference Player of the Year and the NOW Newspapers All-Suburban Basketball Team, Timmer is a good facilitator, as well.
Timmer announced his commitment to Drake via Twitter:
In a New Berlin NOW article from March earlier this year, Timmer’s head coach Dave Scheidegger had some high praise for his lefty point guard: “He’s my X-factor, my ace in the hole. He is phenomenal; there is not a weakness in his game. Flat out the toughest player I ever coached…All season long teams were in his face, but he never lost composure. Despite all his scoring stats, he made everyone better.”
To go along with Drake, Timmer had offers from several other mid-major schools throughout the midwest, namely strong Summit League programs North Dakota State and South Dakota State.
Ever since their strong season in 2007-08 where they won 28 games en route to a #5 seed in the NCAA Tournament under Keno Davis, Drake has been mired in a state of mediocrity. In what will be his second season at Drake when Timmer enters into the program, Giacoletti may have his point guard of the future, and one that will take the Bulldogs back to the NCAA Tournament.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)