Aug 11, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Steve Fisher received good news on Saturday when highly touted point guard Kevin Zabo made a verbal commitment to play at San Diego State.
Zabo, who is from Sherbrooke, Quebec and represented his native country at the FIBA U17 World Championships in Kaunas, Lithuania this summer, will soon become acclimated with a warmer climate after having spent last year at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.
Prior to spending last season at Brewster, Zabo also spent time at St. Mark’s (Southborough, MA) and Montrose Christian School (Rockville, MD).
On Saturday, Zabo announced his decision via his Twitter account:
Along with San Diego State, Zabo boasted offers from Illinois, Iowa State, and West Virginia.
ESPN’s Jeff Goodman tweeted out the news of Zabo’s commitment, along with this nugget of information yesterday:
If you don’t know much about Justin Hutson, he is regarded as one of the top recruiters in the game, and was primarily responsible for putting San Diego State basketball on the map several years ago thanks to recruiting Kawhi Leonard and Chase Tapley. Hutson was the associate head coach at UNLV for the past two seasons, but returned to San Diego State in April of 2013. From Hutson’s biography on the San Diego State men’s basketball website:
Hutson played a pivotal part in San Diego State’s recruiting efforts. He was instrumental in securing a pair of nationally recognized recruiting classes, including the No. 15 class leading into the 2009-10 campaign, which included 2011 NBA first-round draft pick Kawhi Leonard and the recently departed and four-year starter Chase Tapley. That class was also rated the top group among non-automatic qualifying BCS schools by a pair of recruiting sites.
It’s easy to see why Goodman has connected Zabo’s verbal pledge with Hutson’s return. Moreover, the connection between the two was ostensibly formed as a result of Hutson’s close relationship with Zabo’s AAU team — CIA Bounce. Hutson recruited both Khem Birch and Anthony Bennett to UNLV from this program.
Kevin Zabo is a quality addition to Steve Fisher’s program, and he should be able to provide meaningful minutes early in his career.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)