Aug 11, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Steve Fisher received good news on Saturday when highly touted point guard Kevin Zabo made a verbal commitment to play at San Diego State.
Zabo, who is from Sherbrooke, Quebec and represented his native country at the FIBA U17 World Championships in Kaunas, Lithuania this summer, will soon become acclimated with a warmer climate after having spent last year at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.
Prior to spending last season at Brewster, Zabo also spent time at St. Mark’s (Southborough, MA) and Montrose Christian School (Rockville, MD).
On Saturday, Zabo announced his decision via his Twitter account:
Along with San Diego State, Zabo boasted offers from Illinois, Iowa State, and West Virginia.
ESPN’s Jeff Goodman tweeted out the news of Zabo’s commitment, along with this nugget of information yesterday:
San Diego State lands commitment from Kevin Zabo, source told ESPN. Return of assistant Justin Hutson quickly paying dividends.—
Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) August 10, 2013
If you don’t know much about Justin Hutson, he is regarded as one of the top recruiters in the game, and was primarily responsible for putting San Diego State basketball on the map several years ago thanks to recruiting Kawhi Leonard and Chase Tapley. Hutson was the associate head coach at UNLV for the past two seasons, but returned to San Diego State in April of 2013. From Hutson’s biography on the San Diego State men’s basketball website:
Hutson played a pivotal part in San Diego State’s recruiting efforts. He was instrumental in securing a pair of nationally recognized recruiting classes, including the No. 15 class leading into the 2009-10 campaign, which included 2011 NBA first-round draft pick Kawhi Leonard and the recently departed and four-year starter Chase Tapley. That class was also rated the top group among non-automatic qualifying BCS schools by a pair of recruiting sites.
It’s easy to see why Goodman has connected Zabo’s verbal pledge with Hutson’s return. Moreover, the connection between the two was ostensibly formed as a result of Hutson’s close relationship with Zabo’s AAU team — CIA Bounce. Hutson recruited both Khem Birch and Anthony Bennett to UNLV from this program.
Kevin Zabo is a quality addition to Steve Fisher’s program, and he should be able to provide meaningful minutes early in his career.
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 0
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)