Aug 11, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
Steve Fisher received good news on Saturday when highly touted point guard Kevin Zabo made a verbal commitment to play at San Diego State.
Zabo, who is from Sherbrooke, Quebec and represented his native country at the FIBA U17 World Championships in Kaunas, Lithuania this summer, will soon become acclimated with a warmer climate after having spent last year at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.
Prior to spending last season at Brewster, Zabo also spent time at St. Mark’s (Southborough, MA) and Montrose Christian School (Rockville, MD).
On Saturday, Zabo announced his decision via his Twitter account:
Along with San Diego State, Zabo boasted offers from Illinois, Iowa State, and West Virginia.
ESPN’s Jeff Goodman tweeted out the news of Zabo’s commitment, along with this nugget of information yesterday:
If you don’t know much about Justin Hutson, he is regarded as one of the top recruiters in the game, and was primarily responsible for putting San Diego State basketball on the map several years ago thanks to recruiting Kawhi Leonard and Chase Tapley. Hutson was the associate head coach at UNLV for the past two seasons, but returned to San Diego State in April of 2013. From Hutson’s biography on the San Diego State men’s basketball website:
Hutson played a pivotal part in San Diego State’s recruiting efforts. He was instrumental in securing a pair of nationally recognized recruiting classes, including the No. 15 class leading into the 2009-10 campaign, which included 2011 NBA first-round draft pick Kawhi Leonard and the recently departed and four-year starter Chase Tapley. That class was also rated the top group among non-automatic qualifying BCS schools by a pair of recruiting sites.
It’s easy to see why Goodman has connected Zabo’s verbal pledge with Hutson’s return. Moreover, the connection between the two was ostensibly formed as a result of Hutson’s close relationship with Zabo’s AAU team — CIA Bounce. Hutson recruited both Khem Birch and Anthony Bennett to UNLV from this program.
Kevin Zabo is a quality addition to Steve Fisher’s program, and he should be able to provide meaningful minutes early in his career.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)