Aug 11, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
Having already received verbal commitments from in-state products Anton Beard and Trey Thompson, Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson hopped across the border into Texas for the Razorbacks’ third 2014 commitment.
On Saturday 6-4 shooting guard Nick Babb (James Martin H.S., Arlington, Tex.) announced via Twitter his decision to attend the SEC school, picking Arkansas over SMU and Texas A&M. The younger brother of former Iowa State guard Chris Babb, Nick has the tools needed to provide Arkansas with a versatile perimeter option when he arrives on campus.
And with the Razorbacks losing Rickey Scott and Mardracus Wade following the 2013-14 campaign, Babb will have the opportunity to earn quality minutes as a freshman. One factor in Babb’s decision to commit were the words from Arkansas transfer and Dallas native Keaton Miles, who began his college career at West Virginia.
“They have a good environment there,” Babb told Otis Kirk of 247Sports. “I also have heard good things about Arkansas from Keaton Miles.”
Looking ahead, Arkansas certainly has a need for additional shooters as they look to improve their standing in the SEC. As a team Arkansas shot just 30% from beyond the arc last season, placing them 13th in the SEC. Arkansas’ best perimeter shooter last season was Kiko Haydar, who managed to hit 27 of his 69 attempts from beyond the arc (39.1%).
To be fair Arkansas did manage to make 50% of their two-point attempts, but with their top two leading scorers (B.J. Young and Marshawn Powell) gone they’ll need to improve from deep if they’re to improve on last season’s 19-13 mark. Arkansas’ leading returning scorers are forward Coty Clarke (7.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg) and Wade (6.5 ppg), with Clarke also leading the Hogs in field goal percentage (51.4%) in 2012-13.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)