Aug 12, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
New Drake coach Ray Giacoletti has hit a bit of recruiting hot streak over the past 48 hours, nabbing his second commitment in as many days in 2014 shooting guard Ore Arogundade.
Arogundade plays AAU with the Illinois Wolves and at Chicago St. Viator.
The commitment comes right after New Berlin (Wisc.) point guard Reed Timmer gave Giacoletti the first commit of his 2014 class. As a junior at St. Viator, the 6-2, 170-pound Arogundade averaged 19.1 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists.
He also had offers from St. Louis, Loyola, Santa Clara and Murray State, among others.
ILL Wolves 2014 SG Ore Arogundade has committed to Drake, per coach Mike Mullins.
— Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) August 12, 2013
The former Utah head coach has a tough job in front of him at Drake. Outside of a 2007-08 season in which the Bulldogs earned a no. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament under Keno Davis, the program hasn’t had a consistent run of success since the late 1960s/early 1970s. Since 1980, the program has made five postseason appearances, with the 2008 appearance being the lone one in the NCAAs. Getting two strong commitments in the past two days is a good start.
The Bulldogs finished 15-17 last season overall, 7-11 in the Missouri Valley Conference under coach Mark Phelps in his fifth and final season.
Below are some highlights of Arogundade from AAU action.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)