Aug 12, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
New Drake coach Ray Giacoletti has hit a bit of recruiting hot streak over the past 48 hours, nabbing his second commitment in as many days in 2014 shooting guard Ore Arogundade.
Arogundade plays AAU with the Illinois Wolves and at Chicago St. Viator.
The commitment comes right after New Berlin (Wisc.) point guard Reed Timmer gave Giacoletti the first commit of his 2014 class. As a junior at St. Viator, the 6-2, 170-pound Arogundade averaged 19.1 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists.
He also had offers from St. Louis, Loyola, Santa Clara and Murray State, among others.
ILL Wolves 2014 SG Ore Arogundade has committed to Drake, per coach Mike Mullins.
— Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) August 12, 2013
The former Utah head coach has a tough job in front of him at Drake. Outside of a 2007-08 season in which the Bulldogs earned a no. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament under Keno Davis, the program hasn’t had a consistent run of success since the late 1960s/early 1970s. Since 1980, the program has made five postseason appearances, with the 2008 appearance being the lone one in the NCAAs. Getting two strong commitments in the past two days is a good start.
The Bulldogs finished 15-17 last season overall, 7-11 in the Missouri Valley Conference under coach Mark Phelps in his fifth and final season.
Below are some highlights of Arogundade from AAU action.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)