Aug 12, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
New Drake coach Ray Giacoletti has hit a bit of recruiting hot streak over the past 48 hours, nabbing his second commitment in as many days in 2014 shooting guard Ore Arogundade.
Arogundade plays AAU with the Illinois Wolves and at Chicago St. Viator.
The commitment comes right after New Berlin (Wisc.) point guard Reed Timmer gave Giacoletti the first commit of his 2014 class. As a junior at St. Viator, the 6-2, 170-pound Arogundade averaged 19.1 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists.
He also had offers from St. Louis, Loyola, Santa Clara and Murray State, among others.
ILL Wolves 2014 SG Ore Arogundade has committed to Drake, per coach Mike Mullins.
— Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) August 12, 2013
The former Utah head coach has a tough job in front of him at Drake. Outside of a 2007-08 season in which the Bulldogs earned a no. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament under Keno Davis, the program hasn’t had a consistent run of success since the late 1960s/early 1970s. Since 1980, the program has made five postseason appearances, with the 2008 appearance being the lone one in the NCAAs. Getting two strong commitments in the past two days is a good start.
The Bulldogs finished 15-17 last season overall, 7-11 in the Missouri Valley Conference under coach Mark Phelps in his fifth and final season.
Below are some highlights of Arogundade from AAU action.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)