Aug 12, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Curtis Malone is the co-founder and president of one of the most high-profile AAU basketball programs in the country, the DC Assault.
Michael Beasley, Keith Bogans, Nolan Smith, DerMarr Johnson and Jeff Green are just a few of the alumni that the Assault have sent through the college ranks and onto the NBA. Malone is Smith’s stepfather.
But on Friday, Malone was arrested in DC in connection with a year-long DEA investigation into heroin, per a report from Will Sommer of the Washington City Paper. He has been charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute 100 grams or more of heroin and 500 grams or more of cocaine.
A search warrant executed on Malone’s home yielded a kilo of cocaine, 100 grams of heroine, a handgun and “assorted paraphanalia associated with the distribution of controlled substances. This would be Malone’s second drug arrest, as he was convicted of selling crack cocaine in 1991, serving three months of a five month sentence. Malone was charged with assault stemming from an altercation with another AAU coach last year, but was acquitted of those charges.
A report from Jeff Ermann of Inside Maryland Sports says no one else affiliated with the Assault has been implicated.
Malone’s name has popped up quite a bit in the past few years.
He was responsible for Jamar Samuels being suspended for Kansas State’s Round of 32 NCAA tournament game against Syracuse in 2012. Malone had wired Samuels $200 too make sure that Samuels had enough money to be able to eat. Malone was also sued by Michael Beasley in 2011 in which Beasley accused Malone of steering his players to NBA agent Joel Bell in exchange for Bell’s help funding the Assault program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)