Aug 13, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
It apparently didn’t take A.J. Harris long to figure out where he wanted to play.
The 2015 recruit committed to Ohio State on Monday evening (subscription required), accepting an offer from coach Thad Matta over offers from Dayton, Illinois State and Xavier.
The 5-9 Harris is the Buckeyes first commitment for 2015. The Dayton (Ohio) Dunbar product is ranked as the no. 13 point guard in the class by Scout.com and is a three star recruit according to Rivals.com.
At this point, Harris will be welcomed with open arms to Columbus, with the four-man recruiting class for 2014 not including a point guard. Aaron Craft exhausts his eligibility after this coming season and Shannon Scott, who was second on the team with 142 assists last season, will be done following 2014-15. If Harris’ commitment holds firm, he’ll be in position to either split time with Amedeo Della Valle (if he develops) at the one or take it over himself when he arrives on campus.
“I walked in and Coach (Thad) Matta told me he was offering, but he wanted me to take it right away,” Harris told Scout.com’s Brian Snow. “At first I thought about it, but then when I was walking out Coach Matta told me how he was going to use me and who they planned to bring around me, and I told him not to worry about it and that I was going to be a Buckeye.”
And just to drive that point home, Ohio State assistant coach Jeff Boals tweeted this out Monday night. I have NO idea what he could be talking about.
💣 Boom!! Goes the Dynamite!! #Buckeyes
— Jeff Boals (@JeffBoals) August 13, 2013
Here are a few highlights of Harris from the summer circuit.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 5
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)