Aug 13, 2013, 2:06 PM EST
Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor are considered by many to be the top two prospects in the Class of 2014.
They also happen to be very good friends, and since their bond off the court also extends to their play on the court (Okafor is a technically sound center while Jones is an elite level playmaker at the point), the pair has been quite vocal about their desire to play together at the next level.
On Tuesday, Jones announced his final visit list via his twitter feed: he’s on an unofficial to Minnesota today and will take official visits to Baylor (Aug. 30th-Sept. 1st), Kentucky (Sept. 27th-29th), Kansas (Oct. 18th-20th) and Duke (Oct. 25th-27th). Jones, who has officially narrowed his list to seven schools, would have one more official visit if he doesn’t make up his mind by then.
Okafor scheduled his visits earlier this month. He’ll be joining Jones at Baylor, Kansas and Duke, while taking his visit to Kentucky on September 9th on a visit to Arizona on October 11th. He will also visit Michigan State, Ohio State and Illinois unofficially.
I may be reading to deep here, but I find it interesting that Kentucky is the only school on both player’s lists that is getting separate visits.
Then again, that’s what happens when dealing recruiting in this day and age. The timeline for decisions made by precocious 16 and 17 year olds has become a profitable industry, which is why it’s difficult for these kids to enjoy the recruiting process. Okafor’s dad told ESPN.com that the speculation and rumor mill is “taking the fun out of the process for the two boys”, while Jones told NBCSports.com that the process is stressful and that “once I make a decision I’ll be happier.”
With that in mind, I’d expect the pair to make a decision sooner rather than later.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 5
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)