Aug 13, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor are considered by many to be the top two prospects in the Class of 2014.
They also happen to be very good friends, and since their bond off the court also extends to their play on the court (Okafor is a technically sound center while Jones is an elite level playmaker at the point), the pair has been quite vocal about their desire to play together at the next level.
On Tuesday, Jones announced his final visit list via his twitter feed: he’s on an unofficial to Minnesota today and will take official visits to Baylor (Aug. 30th-Sept. 1st), Kentucky (Sept. 27th-29th), Kansas (Oct. 18th-20th) and Duke (Oct. 25th-27th). Jones, who has officially narrowed his list to seven schools, would have one more official visit if he doesn’t make up his mind by then.
Okafor scheduled his visits earlier this month. He’ll be joining Jones at Baylor, Kansas and Duke, while taking his visit to Kentucky on September 9th on a visit to Arizona on October 11th. He will also visit Michigan State, Ohio State and Illinois unofficially.
I may be reading to deep here, but I find it interesting that Kentucky is the only school on both player’s lists that is getting separate visits.
Then again, that’s what happens when dealing recruiting in this day and age. The timeline for decisions made by precocious 16 and 17 year olds has become a profitable industry, which is why it’s difficult for these kids to enjoy the recruiting process. Okafor’s dad told ESPN.com that the speculation and rumor mill is “taking the fun out of the process for the two boys”, while Jones told NBCSports.com that the process is stressful and that “once I make a decision I’ll be happier.”
With that in mind, I’d expect the pair to make a decision sooner rather than later.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)