Aug 14, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
So remember all that talk about VCU’s band leader retiring?
Well, it may not quite be over yet.
If you remember, Ryan Kopacsi, a nation-wide fan favorite and the energetic leader of The Peppas for the last 15 years, more or less announced his resignation on Monday night on Facebook.
VCU, however, hadn’t heard anything form Kopacsi on the matter.
“The VCU Athletics Department learned last night via Facebook that Ryan Kopacsi has decided to retire from serving as director of The Peppas,” the school said in a statement they released. “However, VCU Athletics has not received a formal letter of resignation from Ryan and continues contract discussions with him, working through the University process before a final decision is made.”
“We take all contract negotiations seriously and honor their confidentiality until a final agreement is reached.”
Think about that. VCU had to release a statement on the contract status of their band leader. How often does that happen? I’d put down a car payment on this being the first time.
But wait. There’s more.
Later on Tuesday afternoon, Kopacsi posted this on his facebook page: “I also want to thank VCU, who has reached out to me to continue discussions regarding my contract. I hope there can be a resolution in the next day or two.”
Maybe this isn’t a done deal yet.
And maybe you know it’s August when we’re posting on back-to-back days about a band leader.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (77)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)