Aug 14, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
Cal will be without their leading returning scorer for the next six-to-eight weeks, as Justin Cobbs broken a bone in his right foot, the fifth metatarsal.
The school announced the news in a press release on Wednesday afternoon.
Cobbs averaged 15.1 points and 4.8 assists for the Bears a season ago, earning second-team all Pac-12 honors. Even if the injury takes eight weeks to heal, Cobbs should be back on the court by mid-October and healthy enough to play in the Bears’ first game three weeks later. A bigger concern? Will he be able to get in shape and get his legs back by the start of non-conference play? Perhaps more importantly, breaking a metatarsal bone can be an injury that flares up again later in the season.
A redshirt senior this season, Cobbs will take over a leadership role for a young team with a couple of talented prospects on the wing. Allen Crabbe is off to the NBA, but with sophomore Ty Wallace, who showed flashes of serious potential as a freshman, and freshman Jabari Bird in the mix, Mike Montogomery will have pieces to work with.
But it will be Cobbs’ team to run, and if he is limited or if this becomes the kind of nagging injury where he can’t get to 100%, it could change the course of Cal’s season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)