Aug 14, 2013, 2:28 PM EST
Cal will be without their leading returning scorer for the next six-to-eight weeks, as Justin Cobbs broken a bone in his right foot, the fifth metatarsal.
The school announced the news in a press release on Wednesday afternoon.
Cobbs averaged 15.1 points and 4.8 assists for the Bears a season ago, earning second-team all Pac-12 honors. Even if the injury takes eight weeks to heal, Cobbs should be back on the court by mid-October and healthy enough to play in the Bears’ first game three weeks later. A bigger concern? Will he be able to get in shape and get his legs back by the start of non-conference play? Perhaps more importantly, breaking a metatarsal bone can be an injury that flares up again later in the season.
A redshirt senior this season, Cobbs will take over a leadership role for a young team with a couple of talented prospects on the wing. Allen Crabbe is off to the NBA, but with sophomore Ty Wallace, who showed flashes of serious potential as a freshman, and freshman Jabari Bird in the mix, Mike Montogomery will have pieces to work with.
But it will be Cobbs’ team to run, and if he is limited or if this becomes the kind of nagging injury where he can’t get to 100%, it could change the course of Cal’s season.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)