Aug 14, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
Cal will be without their leading returning scorer for the next six-to-eight weeks, as Justin Cobbs broken a bone in his right foot, the fifth metatarsal.
The school announced the news in a press release on Wednesday afternoon.
Cobbs averaged 15.1 points and 4.8 assists for the Bears a season ago, earning second-team all Pac-12 honors. Even if the injury takes eight weeks to heal, Cobbs should be back on the court by mid-October and healthy enough to play in the Bears’ first game three weeks later. A bigger concern? Will he be able to get in shape and get his legs back by the start of non-conference play? Perhaps more importantly, breaking a metatarsal bone can be an injury that flares up again later in the season.
A redshirt senior this season, Cobbs will take over a leadership role for a young team with a couple of talented prospects on the wing. Allen Crabbe is off to the NBA, but with sophomore Ty Wallace, who showed flashes of serious potential as a freshman, and freshman Jabari Bird in the mix, Mike Montogomery will have pieces to work with.
But it will be Cobbs’ team to run, and if he is limited or if this becomes the kind of nagging injury where he can’t get to 100%, it could change the course of Cal’s season.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)