Aug 14, 2013, 9:06 PM EST
Two days after a yearlong federal investigation resulted in his arrest, D.C. Assault co-founder Curtis Malone was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of drug trafficking Wednesday.
Malone pleaded not guilty to the charges, and if convicted he faces anywhere from five to forty years behind bars as well as a fine ranging from $5 million to $25 million. Malone remains behind bars at present time, and the next hearing in the trial is scheduled for August 21.
The hope of Robert Bonsib, Malone’s attorney, was to get him released on bond but the judge did not grant this at the conclusion of the hearing.
“Our first interest is trying to get Mr. Malone released so he can be back with his family,” Malone’s attorney, Robert Bonsib, said in a telephone interview. “The test is whether if released he would represent a risk of flight or a danger of being involved in ongoing criminal activity and I think the answer to both of those is, ‘No.’ Obviously we could not convince the judge of that today.”
On Monday the D.C. Assault program announced that Malone would no longer be connected with the organization, also pointing out that he hadn’t been involved with the day-to-day operations for quite some time.
D.C. Assault has produced many players who have gone on to excel at both the collegiate and professional levels of basketball since being founded by Malone and current Oklahoma City Thunder vice president and assistant GM Troy Weaver in 1993.
According to the Washington Post, Under Armour is still gathering facts as it determines whether or not to continue its sponsorship of D.C. Assault.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)