Aug 14, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
On the heels of a season that featured the school’s first-ever NCAA tournament victory, big things are expected of the Harvard Crimson in 2013-14.
With guards Siyani Chambers and Laurent Rivard and forward Wesley Saunders all returning, not to mention a solid recruiting class (featuring power forward Zena Edsomwan) and the presence of Brandyn Curry and Kyle Casey (academic issues sidelined both in 2012-13), Harvard has the pieces needed to at the very least win another Ivy League title.
Head coach Tommy Amaker won’t lack for talent, and he won’t be lacking for hall of fame honors either. Amaker will be inducted into the Washington Metropolitan Basketball Hall of Fame on September 24, gaining membership into his fourth hall of fame.
The other halls of fame of which Amaker is a member are the Wilbert T. Woodson High School (Fairfax, Va.) Hall of Fame, the Duke Sports Hall of Fame and the New England Basketball Hall of Fame. Amaker, who has an overall record of 112-66 in six seasons at Harvard, was inducted into the New England Basketball hall earlier this summer.
But this most recent honor also speaks to Amaker’s excellence as a player, as he won national Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior at Duke (1986-87 season). Amaker ranks third in school history in both steals (259) and assists (708), trailing Chris Duhon and Shane Battier in steals and Bobby Hurley and Duhon in assists.
One of the other honorees in September will be Amaker’s college coach, as Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski will be the recipient of the Nell and John Wooden Leadership in Coaching award.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)