Aug 14, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
On the heels of a season that featured the school’s first-ever NCAA tournament victory, big things are expected of the Harvard Crimson in 2013-14.
With guards Siyani Chambers and Laurent Rivard and forward Wesley Saunders all returning, not to mention a solid recruiting class (featuring power forward Zena Edsomwan) and the presence of Brandyn Curry and Kyle Casey (academic issues sidelined both in 2012-13), Harvard has the pieces needed to at the very least win another Ivy League title.
Head coach Tommy Amaker won’t lack for talent, and he won’t be lacking for hall of fame honors either. Amaker will be inducted into the Washington Metropolitan Basketball Hall of Fame on September 24, gaining membership into his fourth hall of fame.
The other halls of fame of which Amaker is a member are the Wilbert T. Woodson High School (Fairfax, Va.) Hall of Fame, the Duke Sports Hall of Fame and the New England Basketball Hall of Fame. Amaker, who has an overall record of 112-66 in six seasons at Harvard, was inducted into the New England Basketball hall earlier this summer.
But this most recent honor also speaks to Amaker’s excellence as a player, as he won national Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior at Duke (1986-87 season). Amaker ranks third in school history in both steals (259) and assists (708), trailing Chris Duhon and Shane Battier in steals and Bobby Hurley and Duhon in assists.
One of the other honorees in September will be Amaker’s college coach, as Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski will be the recipient of the Nell and John Wooden Leadership in Coaching award.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 4
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)