Aug 15, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
Cullen Neal, New Mexico’s incoming freshman and the son of new head coach Craig Neal, was released from a hospital in Australia yesterday, where he had spent the entirety of the Lobos’ week-and-a-half long trip down under to recover from an emergency appendectomy.
It was good news, evidence that a kid that underwent a scary surgery in a foreign country was going to be coming home healthier.
It was also an opportunity for the twitter account of The Show, San Diego State’s raucous student section, to take a jab at a rival (the posts have since been taken down, but NBCSports.com was able to get a screen grab before that happened):
This garnered quite a bit of negative reaction from the New Mexico fan base, which is quite passionate and, at times, vitriolic on the internet. Thus, The Show’s twitter continued to troll Lobo fans, sending out these two tweets:
Long story short, the twitter account for the student section of SDSU wished death upon a player for a rival that had recently undergone surgery.
But that’s also what the account was created to do. To troll. The try and rile up opposing fan bases. Seriously, read through their tweets.
Tweeting about the death of a player may be pushing the line, however, especially when it’s coming from an account with more than 5,000 followers that’s doing their best to convince people of their association with the school and the basketball program. I’m not sure the school or the basketball program would be to happy about that.
Which is probably why the tweets were taken down.
In all honestly, I had no problem with the initial tweet; I thought it was kind of funny, frankly. The second and third tweet were a bit much, however.
What do you think? Did this cross a line?
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)