Aug 15, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Cullen Neal, New Mexico’s incoming freshman and the son of new head coach Craig Neal, was released from a hospital in Australia yesterday, where he had spent the entirety of the Lobos’ week-and-a-half long trip down under to recover from an emergency appendectomy.
It was good news, evidence that a kid that underwent a scary surgery in a foreign country was going to be coming home healthier.
It was also an opportunity for the twitter account of The Show, San Diego State’s raucous student section, to take a jab at a rival (the posts have since been taken down, but NBCSports.com was able to get a screen grab before that happened):
This garnered quite a bit of negative reaction from the New Mexico fan base, which is quite passionate and, at times, vitriolic on the internet. Thus, The Show’s twitter continued to troll Lobo fans, sending out these two tweets:
Long story short, the twitter account for the student section of SDSU wished death upon a player for a rival that had recently undergone surgery.
But that’s also what the account was created to do. To troll. The try and rile up opposing fan bases. Seriously, read through their tweets.
Tweeting about the death of a player may be pushing the line, however, especially when it’s coming from an account with more than 5,000 followers that’s doing their best to convince people of their association with the school and the basketball program. I’m not sure the school or the basketball program would be to happy about that.
Which is probably why the tweets were taken down.
In all honestly, I had no problem with the initial tweet; I thought it was kind of funny, frankly. The second and third tweet were a bit much, however.
What do you think? Did this cross a line?
- Big 12 Tournament: Iowa State lights up a poor Kansas defense 2
- SEC Tournament: ‘The Tweak’ worked as Kentucky runs over LSU 0
- ACC Tournament: Pitt locks up tourney bid by beating struggling No. 16 North Carolina 2
- Atlantic 10 Tournament: St. Bonaventure upsets Saint Louis with a three at the buzzer (VIDEO) 6
- Bubble Banter: Monster day for teams on the cutline 1
- Bracketology: Final No. 1 seed up for grabs 5
- Bubble Banter: Who will earn a bid to the Big Dance? 2
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- Don’t mess with Aaron Craft’s memory (6)
- Atlantic 10 Tournament: St. Bonaventure upsets Saint Louis with a three at the buzzer (VIDEO) (6)