Aug 15, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
In six seasons as the head coach at Quinnipiac, Tom Moore’s led the Bobcats to heights the program had not reached as a Division I member prior to his arrival. With three postseason appearances and an overall record of 108-81 to his credit, Moore’s been rewarded with a contract extension through the 2017-18 season.
The Bobcats will begin their first season as a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) this fall, making this a good time to display their commitment to Moore as he looks to make Quinnipiac a contender it its new league.
“I am thrilled to sign another five-year contract extension to remain here at Quinnipiac University,” Moore said in the release. “I have received incredible support from our entire administration since the first day I arrived. President John Lahey, Vice President Mark Thompson, and Director of Athletics Jack McDonald have provided our program and student-athletes everything we have needed to be successful both on the court and in the classroom.
“I am both inspired and energized by this commitment to me as we transition into the MAAC in the years ahead.”
Quinnipiac finished the 2012-13 season with an overall record of 15-16 (11-7 NEC), losing to eventual conference tournament champion LIU Brooklyn in the quarterfinals of the NEC tournament. Leading scorer Ike Azotam (13.6 ppg, 7.9 rpg) returns for his senior season and he’ll be joined inside by Ousmane Drame, who was second on the team in rebounding (7.3 rpg) while averaging 9.6 points per contest.
On the perimeter Umar Shannon, who averaged 11.2 points and 3.3 assists per game at St. Francis (PA) in 2012-13, will likely move into the role that the now graduated Dave Johnson (7.8 ppg, 3.9 apg) held.
Having the experienced Shannon on board will help Quinnipiac as the program makes its transition to the MAAC, but they’ll need sophomores James Ford Jr. and Kendrick Ray to take the next step in their development as well.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)