Aug 15, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Marshall has seen better days.
After struggling through a disappointing 2012-2013 campaign in which the Thundering Herd finished 13-19 and just 6-10 in a thoroughly mediocre Conference USA, Marshall watched as their entire front line — double-double machine Dennis Tinnon, Robert Goff and Nigel Spikes — graduated.
Then, their most talented player, junior Deandre Kane, was dismissed from the program and transferred to Iowa State, where he’ll be eligible immediately.
And if that wasn’t enough, Wednesday brought about the news that leading scorer Elijah Pittman had been indicted on charges of misdemeanor battery. According to the Herald-Dispatch, Pittman had a physical confrontation with another student last fall.
In the indictment, Pittman is charged with unlawfully making physical contact with the male student by punching the student during an altercation, causing him to fall to the pavement and become momentarily unconscious.
The incident took place in the 1900 block of Buffington Avenue, at an apartment complex near campus, after midnight on October 10, 2012, said Huntington Police Det. Rob Stinnett, who presented the results of his investigation to the grand jury.
Stinnett said the student was taken to the emergency room at Cabell Huntington Hospital following the incident. The student suffered a broken nose, a concussion and a possible facial fracture during the incident, said Stinnett.
“We were aware of the issue and it is being dealt with internally and appropriately,” the University said in a statement given to the Herald-Dispatch.
The 6-foot-9 Pittman averaged 16.1 points and 4.2 rebounds as a junior.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)