Aug 15, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Marshall has seen better days.
After struggling through a disappointing 2012-2013 campaign in which the Thundering Herd finished 13-19 and just 6-10 in a thoroughly mediocre Conference USA, Marshall watched as their entire front line — double-double machine Dennis Tinnon, Robert Goff and Nigel Spikes — graduated.
Then, their most talented player, junior Deandre Kane, was dismissed from the program and transferred to Iowa State, where he’ll be eligible immediately.
And if that wasn’t enough, Wednesday brought about the news that leading scorer Elijah Pittman had been indicted on charges of misdemeanor battery. According to the Herald-Dispatch, Pittman had a physical confrontation with another student last fall.
In the indictment, Pittman is charged with unlawfully making physical contact with the male student by punching the student during an altercation, causing him to fall to the pavement and become momentarily unconscious.
The incident took place in the 1900 block of Buffington Avenue, at an apartment complex near campus, after midnight on October 10, 2012, said Huntington Police Det. Rob Stinnett, who presented the results of his investigation to the grand jury.
Stinnett said the student was taken to the emergency room at Cabell Huntington Hospital following the incident. The student suffered a broken nose, a concussion and a possible facial fracture during the incident, said Stinnett.
“We were aware of the issue and it is being dealt with internally and appropriately,” the University said in a statement given to the Herald-Dispatch.
The 6-foot-9 Pittman averaged 16.1 points and 4.2 rebounds as a junior.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)