Aug 15, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Marshall has seen better days.
After struggling through a disappointing 2012-2013 campaign in which the Thundering Herd finished 13-19 and just 6-10 in a thoroughly mediocre Conference USA, Marshall watched as their entire front line — double-double machine Dennis Tinnon, Robert Goff and Nigel Spikes — graduated.
Then, their most talented player, junior Deandre Kane, was dismissed from the program and transferred to Iowa State, where he’ll be eligible immediately.
And if that wasn’t enough, Wednesday brought about the news that leading scorer Elijah Pittman had been indicted on charges of misdemeanor battery. According to the Herald-Dispatch, Pittman had a physical confrontation with another student last fall.
In the indictment, Pittman is charged with unlawfully making physical contact with the male student by punching the student during an altercation, causing him to fall to the pavement and become momentarily unconscious.
The incident took place in the 1900 block of Buffington Avenue, at an apartment complex near campus, after midnight on October 10, 2012, said Huntington Police Det. Rob Stinnett, who presented the results of his investigation to the grand jury.
Stinnett said the student was taken to the emergency room at Cabell Huntington Hospital following the incident. The student suffered a broken nose, a concussion and a possible facial fracture during the incident, said Stinnett.
“We were aware of the issue and it is being dealt with internally and appropriately,” the University said in a statement given to the Herald-Dispatch.
The 6-foot-9 Pittman averaged 16.1 points and 4.2 rebounds as a junior.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)