Aug 16, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Chalk this up as a good week for Seton Hall and head coach Kevin Willard.
First there was the positive finish to the saga involving guard Tom Maayan, who was granted a 90-day furlough by the Israeli Defense Forces that many expect to turn into permission to complete his college career before fullfulling his military commitment. And on Friday the school received a verbal commitment from a highly valued power forward, as Angel Delgado will be a Pirate according to Evan Daniels (subscription required).
Delgado, a 6-9 power forward from the Dominican Republic, is Seton Hall’s second commitment in the 2014 class (small forward Ismael Sanogo being the first) and he received more attention from programs along the lines of Louisville and Kentucky as the summer progressed.
Delgado’s stock rose due in large part to his activity defensively and on the glass. Playing with the New York Lightning during Nike EYBL play, Delgado averaged 13.2 points and 11.6 rebounds per contest. Delgado, who attended Redemption Christian Academy this past year, will attend Huntington Prep (W. Va.) in the fall.
With Seton Hall losing center Gene Teague (11.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg) and forward Aaron Geramipoor following the 2013-14 season (Patrik Auda is a redshirt junior after missing all of last season due to a broken foot), coach Willard and his staff needed to land some interior depth in the 2014 class.
With Delgado on board, the Pirates accomplished that goal.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)