Aug 16, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Chalk this up as a good week for Seton Hall and head coach Kevin Willard.
First there was the positive finish to the saga involving guard Tom Maayan, who was granted a 90-day furlough by the Israeli Defense Forces that many expect to turn into permission to complete his college career before fullfulling his military commitment. And on Friday the school received a verbal commitment from a highly valued power forward, as Angel Delgado will be a Pirate according to Evan Daniels (subscription required).
Delgado, a 6-9 power forward from the Dominican Republic, is Seton Hall’s second commitment in the 2014 class (small forward Ismael Sanogo being the first) and he received more attention from programs along the lines of Louisville and Kentucky as the summer progressed.
Delgado’s stock rose due in large part to his activity defensively and on the glass. Playing with the New York Lightning during Nike EYBL play, Delgado averaged 13.2 points and 11.6 rebounds per contest. Delgado, who attended Redemption Christian Academy this past year, will attend Huntington Prep (W. Va.) in the fall.
With Seton Hall losing center Gene Teague (11.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg) and forward Aaron Geramipoor following the 2013-14 season (Patrik Auda is a redshirt junior after missing all of last season due to a broken foot), coach Willard and his staff needed to land some interior depth in the 2014 class.
With Delgado on board, the Pirates accomplished that goal.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)