Aug 16, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Chalk this up as a good week for Seton Hall and head coach Kevin Willard.
First there was the positive finish to the saga involving guard Tom Maayan, who was granted a 90-day furlough by the Israeli Defense Forces that many expect to turn into permission to complete his college career before fullfulling his military commitment. And on Friday the school received a verbal commitment from a highly valued power forward, as Angel Delgado will be a Pirate according to Evan Daniels (subscription required).
Delgado, a 6-9 power forward from the Dominican Republic, is Seton Hall’s second commitment in the 2014 class (small forward Ismael Sanogo being the first) and he received more attention from programs along the lines of Louisville and Kentucky as the summer progressed.
Delgado’s stock rose due in large part to his activity defensively and on the glass. Playing with the New York Lightning during Nike EYBL play, Delgado averaged 13.2 points and 11.6 rebounds per contest. Delgado, who attended Redemption Christian Academy this past year, will attend Huntington Prep (W. Va.) in the fall.
With Seton Hall losing center Gene Teague (11.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg) and forward Aaron Geramipoor following the 2013-14 season (Patrik Auda is a redshirt junior after missing all of last season due to a broken foot), coach Willard and his staff needed to land some interior depth in the 2014 class.
With Delgado on board, the Pirates accomplished that goal.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)