Aug 16, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Chalk this up as a good week for Seton Hall and head coach Kevin Willard.
First there was the positive finish to the saga involving guard Tom Maayan, who was granted a 90-day furlough by the Israeli Defense Forces that many expect to turn into permission to complete his college career before fullfulling his military commitment. And on Friday the school received a verbal commitment from a highly valued power forward, as Angel Delgado will be a Pirate according to Evan Daniels (subscription required).
Delgado, a 6-9 power forward from the Dominican Republic, is Seton Hall’s second commitment in the 2014 class (small forward Ismael Sanogo being the first) and he received more attention from programs along the lines of Louisville and Kentucky as the summer progressed.
Delgado’s stock rose due in large part to his activity defensively and on the glass. Playing with the New York Lightning during Nike EYBL play, Delgado averaged 13.2 points and 11.6 rebounds per contest. Delgado, who attended Redemption Christian Academy this past year, will attend Huntington Prep (W. Va.) in the fall.
With Seton Hall losing center Gene Teague (11.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg) and forward Aaron Geramipoor following the 2013-14 season (Patrik Auda is a redshirt junior after missing all of last season due to a broken foot), coach Willard and his staff needed to land some interior depth in the 2014 class.
With Delgado on board, the Pirates accomplished that goal.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 1
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)