Aug 16, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
Chalk this up as a good week for Seton Hall and head coach Kevin Willard.
First there was the positive finish to the saga involving guard Tom Maayan, who was granted a 90-day furlough by the Israeli Defense Forces that many expect to turn into permission to complete his college career before fullfulling his military commitment. And on Friday the school received a verbal commitment from a highly valued power forward, as Angel Delgado will be a Pirate according to Evan Daniels (subscription required).
Delgado, a 6-9 power forward from the Dominican Republic, is Seton Hall’s second commitment in the 2014 class (small forward Ismael Sanogo being the first) and he received more attention from programs along the lines of Louisville and Kentucky as the summer progressed.
Delgado’s stock rose due in large part to his activity defensively and on the glass. Playing with the New York Lightning during Nike EYBL play, Delgado averaged 13.2 points and 11.6 rebounds per contest. Delgado, who attended Redemption Christian Academy this past year, will attend Huntington Prep (W. Va.) in the fall.
With Seton Hall losing center Gene Teague (11.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg) and forward Aaron Geramipoor following the 2013-14 season (Patrik Auda is a redshirt junior after missing all of last season due to a broken foot), coach Willard and his staff needed to land some interior depth in the 2014 class.
With Delgado on board, the Pirates accomplished that goal.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)