Aug 16, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
While he may have played his college basketball at Wagner, there’s a good chance that fans familiar with the program remember former Central Connecticut State forward Obie Nwadike.
In four seasons at CCSU Nwadike proved to be one of the best rebounders in school history (despite being 6-4), grabbing 980 caroms as a Blue Devil. After playing overseas for four seasons ( in Luxembourg and Spain) Nwadike has decided to move into the coaching ranks, and on Friday it was announced that Wagner’s hired him as a graduate assistant.
Nwadike, who played his high school ball at St. Anthony H.S. in Jersey City for Bob Hurley Sr., also managed to score more than 1,200 points at CCSU. His addition to the staff can only help the Wagner front line as the Seahawks begin the task of accounting for the loss of leading rebounder Jonathon Williams (6.4 rpg).
Wagner got its work done on the glass as a unit last season, with four players averaging between 4.3 (forward Orlando Parker and guard Kenneth Ortiz) and 6.4 (Williams) rebounds per game. As a result the Seahawks were one of the NEC’s best rebounding teams in 2012-13, finishing the season ranked second in rebounding margin (+3.5) and third in both offensive (34.9%) and defensive (69.5%) rebounding percentages.
But with Williams no longer in the picture, senior center Naofall Folahan (3.2 rpg) is one interior player who will be asked to do more on the glass in 2013-14. Folahan finished the season with rebounding percentages of 10.5 (offensive) and 15.6 (defensive), meaning that he was productive on the boards when in the game. But he played an average of just 14.6 minutes per game as a junior so the questions now are: can he earn more playing time, and can he produce at that level with more minutes?
Maybe the addition of Nwadike can help when it comes to Folahan’s development, and if the big man improves the Seahawks will have a better chance against perennial favorites LIU Brooklyn and Robert Morris this winter.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)