Aug 17, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
Anyone who loves college basketball is looking forward to seeing what Andrew Wiggins can do in a Kansas uniform. The Canadian import is going to be the sizzle in Allen Fieldhouse for a season at most.
But Bill Self’s teams are more often winners because there’s plenty of steak behind the sizzle. Wiggins has been extremely impressive when showcasing his athleticism, but Self’s teams rely on staunch defense and precision as well as elite hops.
Wiggins is spending most of his summer working out at home in Ontario, so his wasn’t the first name out of Self’s mouth when the Lawrence Journal-World asked him about the summer practice standouts.
Self said that sophomore forward Perry Ellis and freshman guard Wayne Selden were the team’s most consistent performers during full-squad workouts this summer.
“These guys have been absolutely great,” Self said. “They work and they’re not scared to work, and for a bunch of freshmen, they probably impressed me as much with their work ethic as anything else. So it’s gonna be a fun group to coach.”
Before Wiggins committed, Self had already assembled an outstanding group of young, talented players. For him to call out Selden using a word coaches salivate over – consistency – is a pretty good sign that the Jayhawks will be one of the most dangerous teams in the Big 12 yet again. Their hopes for a tenth straight Big 12 title will go through Marcus Smart and Oklahoma State this season, but we’ve learned never to count a Bill Self team out at this point.
- Casey Prather’s become a star, and Florida is reaping the benefits 0
- South Florida holds on as Florida Gulf Coast’s buzzer-beater in double overtime doesn’t count (VIDEO) 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings: Shabazz tops the list again 1
- College Hoops Week in Review: Hello Princeton, and some Brandon Ashley love 1
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 4
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)
- Difference between Kentucky, ’12 title team: role players? (5)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)