Aug 17, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
Anyone who loves college basketball is looking forward to seeing what Andrew Wiggins can do in a Kansas uniform. The Canadian import is going to be the sizzle in Allen Fieldhouse for a season at most.
But Bill Self’s teams are more often winners because there’s plenty of steak behind the sizzle. Wiggins has been extremely impressive when showcasing his athleticism, but Self’s teams rely on staunch defense and precision as well as elite hops.
Wiggins is spending most of his summer working out at home in Ontario, so his wasn’t the first name out of Self’s mouth when the Lawrence Journal-World asked him about the summer practice standouts.
Self said that sophomore forward Perry Ellis and freshman guard Wayne Selden were the team’s most consistent performers during full-squad workouts this summer.
“These guys have been absolutely great,” Self said. “They work and they’re not scared to work, and for a bunch of freshmen, they probably impressed me as much with their work ethic as anything else. So it’s gonna be a fun group to coach.”
Before Wiggins committed, Self had already assembled an outstanding group of young, talented players. For him to call out Selden using a word coaches salivate over – consistency – is a pretty good sign that the Jayhawks will be one of the most dangerous teams in the Big 12 yet again. Their hopes for a tenth straight Big 12 title will go through Marcus Smart and Oklahoma State this season, but we’ve learned never to count a Bill Self team out at this point.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)