Aug 17, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
Anyone who loves college basketball is looking forward to seeing what Andrew Wiggins can do in a Kansas uniform. The Canadian import is going to be the sizzle in Allen Fieldhouse for a season at most.
But Bill Self’s teams are more often winners because there’s plenty of steak behind the sizzle. Wiggins has been extremely impressive when showcasing his athleticism, but Self’s teams rely on staunch defense and precision as well as elite hops.
Wiggins is spending most of his summer working out at home in Ontario, so his wasn’t the first name out of Self’s mouth when the Lawrence Journal-World asked him about the summer practice standouts.
Self said that sophomore forward Perry Ellis and freshman guard Wayne Selden were the team’s most consistent performers during full-squad workouts this summer.
“These guys have been absolutely great,” Self said. “They work and they’re not scared to work, and for a bunch of freshmen, they probably impressed me as much with their work ethic as anything else. So it’s gonna be a fun group to coach.”
Before Wiggins committed, Self had already assembled an outstanding group of young, talented players. For him to call out Selden using a word coaches salivate over – consistency – is a pretty good sign that the Jayhawks will be one of the most dangerous teams in the Big 12 yet again. Their hopes for a tenth straight Big 12 title will go through Marcus Smart and Oklahoma State this season, but we’ve learned never to count a Bill Self team out at this point.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)