Aug 17, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
It sounds like Kaleb Joseph really wanted to go to Syracuse. According to the Post-Standard, the 2014 guard barely had to set foot on campus before he agreed to don the Orange.
“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” Joseph told the newspaper. “In the back of my mind it’s always where I wanted to be. I’ve always been a Syracuse fan. It just felt right.”
Joseph and his parents had been on campus since Friday, and the coveted point guard gave his verbal on Saturday afternoon. He had previously visited Providence, and was scheduled to go to West Virginia in late September.
The rising high school senior from New Hampshire led Cushing Academy to the Class AA state championship last season. He announced his intent on Twitter at 4:49 pm. Syracuse may be getting a diamond in the rough, per Mike Waters of the Post-Standard.
Joseph is ranked No. 51 in the 2014 Class by ESPN. Rivals lists him at No. 56, but those rankings were put out prior to this summer’s AAU circuit, during which Joseph stamped himself as a rising star while playing for the Mass Rivals AAU team.
He’s humble, too.
“I know nothing will be handed to me,” Joseph told the paper. “That’s what I like. I’ve always liked being the underdog.”
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)