Aug 17, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
It sounds like Kaleb Joseph really wanted to go to Syracuse. According to the Post-Standard, the 2014 guard barely had to set foot on campus before he agreed to don the Orange.
“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” Joseph told the newspaper. “In the back of my mind it’s always where I wanted to be. I’ve always been a Syracuse fan. It just felt right.”
Joseph and his parents had been on campus since Friday, and the coveted point guard gave his verbal on Saturday afternoon. He had previously visited Providence, and was scheduled to go to West Virginia in late September.
The rising high school senior from New Hampshire led Cushing Academy to the Class AA state championship last season. He announced his intent on Twitter at 4:49 pm. Syracuse may be getting a diamond in the rough, per Mike Waters of the Post-Standard.
Joseph is ranked No. 51 in the 2014 Class by ESPN. Rivals lists him at No. 56, but those rankings were put out prior to this summer’s AAU circuit, during which Joseph stamped himself as a rising star while playing for the Mass Rivals AAU team.
He’s humble, too.
“I know nothing will be handed to me,” Joseph told the paper. “That’s what I like. I’ve always liked being the underdog.”
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)