Aug 17, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
It sounds like Kaleb Joseph really wanted to go to Syracuse. According to the Post-Standard, the 2014 guard barely had to set foot on campus before he agreed to don the Orange.
“It’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” Joseph told the newspaper. “In the back of my mind it’s always where I wanted to be. I’ve always been a Syracuse fan. It just felt right.”
Joseph and his parents had been on campus since Friday, and the coveted point guard gave his verbal on Saturday afternoon. He had previously visited Providence, and was scheduled to go to West Virginia in late September.
The rising high school senior from New Hampshire led Cushing Academy to the Class AA state championship last season. He announced his intent on Twitter at 4:49 pm. Syracuse may be getting a diamond in the rough, per Mike Waters of the Post-Standard.
Joseph is ranked No. 51 in the 2014 Class by ESPN. Rivals lists him at No. 56, but those rankings were put out prior to this summer’s AAU circuit, during which Joseph stamped himself as a rising star while playing for the Mass Rivals AAU team.
He’s humble, too.
“I know nothing will be handed to me,” Joseph told the paper. “That’s what I like. I’ve always liked being the underdog.”
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)