Aug 17, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Detroit shooting guard Jason Calliste will be spending his senior season elsewhere after graduating early and deciding to transfer from the Titans, according to a report from The Detroit Free Press.
The story from Perry A. Farrell explains how Calliste informed Detroit coaches and the program of his decision on Friday before leaving for his native Canada. Calliste averaged 14.4 points, 3.3 assists and 3.1 rebounds last season for Detroit.
“I needed to go, I was done it with,’’ Calliste said in the story. “I gave four years and I gave all that I could give. It’s time to move on. I’ve been there for so long. I’ve seen the good, the bad and the ugly. I know there’s always going to be bad situations, but I just felt like it could have been a better situation, especially with the coaches that had to leave.’’
This move comes as another big blow to Detroit as they already search for ways to replace junior point guard Ray McCallum — who departed a year early for the NBA Draft. Calliste not only averaged a healthy amount of points at shooting guard but averaged 35.2 minutes a game last year, so he was on the floor for much of the time.
Calliste still has one year of eligibility remaining.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)