Aug 18, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Earlier in August, Mount St. Mary’s head coach Jamion Christian was met with some bad news after learning Shivaughn Wiggins, the NEC Rookie of the Year, decided to transfer. Wiggins was the fourth leading scorer for The Mount averaging 9.6 points per game, and was an integral reason Christian’s first season ended so strongly as they won nine of their final ten games en route to an 18-14 record.
Upon being granted his release by the school, Wiggins predictably had many schools gunning for him. Yesterday, it was reported that Wiggins settled on Coastal Carolina:
What is The Mount’s loss is Coastal’s gain. Wiggins figured to play a prominent role for the next three seasons, especially as a junior when Julien Norfleet, Sam Prescott, and Rashad Whack are all set to graduate after the 2012-13 season.
Wiggins will be forced to sit out the upcoming season per NCAA transfer rules, but will still have three years of eligibility remaining and should have an immediate impact for Coastal Carolina once the 2014-15 campaign gets underway.
Coming out of high school, Wiggins drew interest from Jacksonville and Coastal Carolina, so it shouldn’t come as a major surprise that he landed at the South Carolina-based school. Being just a bounce pass away from Myrtle Beach certainly is appealing for many college students.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)