Aug 18, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Earlier in August, Mount St. Mary’s head coach Jamion Christian was met with some bad news after learning Shivaughn Wiggins, the NEC Rookie of the Year, decided to transfer. Wiggins was the fourth leading scorer for The Mount averaging 9.6 points per game, and was an integral reason Christian’s first season ended so strongly as they won nine of their final ten games en route to an 18-14 record.
Upon being granted his release by the school, Wiggins predictably had many schools gunning for him. Yesterday, it was reported that Wiggins settled on Coastal Carolina:
Former Mount St. Mary's PG Shivaughn Wiggins is headed to Coastal Carolina University.—
Justin Byerly (@Justinbyerly) August 17, 2013
What is The Mount’s loss is Coastal’s gain. Wiggins figured to play a prominent role for the next three seasons, especially as a junior when Julien Norfleet, Sam Prescott, and Rashad Whack are all set to graduate after the 2012-13 season.
Wiggins will be forced to sit out the upcoming season per NCAA transfer rules, but will still have three years of eligibility remaining and should have an immediate impact for Coastal Carolina once the 2014-15 campaign gets underway.
Coming out of high school, Wiggins drew interest from Jacksonville and Coastal Carolina, so it shouldn’t come as a major surprise that he landed at the South Carolina-based school. Being just a bounce pass away from Myrtle Beach certainly is appealing for many college students.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)