Aug 18, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Earlier in August, Mount St. Mary’s head coach Jamion Christian was met with some bad news after learning Shivaughn Wiggins, the NEC Rookie of the Year, decided to transfer. Wiggins was the fourth leading scorer for The Mount averaging 9.6 points per game, and was an integral reason Christian’s first season ended so strongly as they won nine of their final ten games en route to an 18-14 record.
Upon being granted his release by the school, Wiggins predictably had many schools gunning for him. Yesterday, it was reported that Wiggins settled on Coastal Carolina:
Former Mount St. Mary's PG Shivaughn Wiggins is headed to Coastal Carolina University.—
Justin Byerly (@Justinbyerly) August 17, 2013
What is The Mount’s loss is Coastal’s gain. Wiggins figured to play a prominent role for the next three seasons, especially as a junior when Julien Norfleet, Sam Prescott, and Rashad Whack are all set to graduate after the 2012-13 season.
Wiggins will be forced to sit out the upcoming season per NCAA transfer rules, but will still have three years of eligibility remaining and should have an immediate impact for Coastal Carolina once the 2014-15 campaign gets underway.
Coming out of high school, Wiggins drew interest from Jacksonville and Coastal Carolina, so it shouldn’t come as a major surprise that he landed at the South Carolina-based school. Being just a bounce pass away from Myrtle Beach certainly is appealing for many college students.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)