Aug 18, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
It’s doubtful that anyone needs a reminder that the cost of attending college is rising by the year, so every little bit helps. Ball State freshman Markus Burden, who hails from Frankfort, Ill., he had the opportunity that just about any college student would sign up for at his school’s “Welcome Week” festivities on Thursday night.
The opportunity: make a half-court shot and he wins free tuition for a semester.
Burden, who missed three attempts before draining the fourth, will have his out-of-state tuition (reportedly valued at $11,084) handled by the university according to Stephanie Wang of the Indianapolis Star.
Burden wanted to win the free tuition for his mom. But when he called her, almost in tears, she didn’t believe him until a friend sent her photographic proof.
“It just gives us a lot of breathing room right now,” he said.
Every little bit helps.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)