Aug 18, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
It’s doubtful that anyone needs a reminder that the cost of attending college is rising by the year, so every little bit helps. Ball State freshman Markus Burden, who hails from Frankfort, Ill., he had the opportunity that just about any college student would sign up for at his school’s “Welcome Week” festivities on Thursday night.
The opportunity: make a half-court shot and he wins free tuition for a semester.
Burden, who missed three attempts before draining the fourth, will have his out-of-state tuition (reportedly valued at $11,084) handled by the university according to Stephanie Wang of the Indianapolis Star.
Burden wanted to win the free tuition for his mom. But when he called her, almost in tears, she didn’t believe him until a friend sent her photographic proof.
“It just gives us a lot of breathing room right now,” he said.
Every little bit helps.
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 2
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 3
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)