Aug 18, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
It’s doubtful that anyone needs a reminder that the cost of attending college is rising by the year, so every little bit helps. Ball State freshman Markus Burden, who hails from Frankfort, Ill., he had the opportunity that just about any college student would sign up for at his school’s “Welcome Week” festivities on Thursday night.
The opportunity: make a half-court shot and he wins free tuition for a semester.
Burden, who missed three attempts before draining the fourth, will have his out-of-state tuition (reportedly valued at $11,084) handled by the university according to Stephanie Wang of the Indianapolis Star.
Burden wanted to win the free tuition for his mom. But when he called her, almost in tears, she didn’t believe him until a friend sent her photographic proof.
“It just gives us a lot of breathing room right now,” he said.
Every little bit helps.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)