Aug 18, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
In two seasons at Illinois 6-8 forward/center Ibby Djimde didn’t see much playing time, playing in just 28 games and averaging 2.9 minutes per contest. At the end of the 2012-13 season Djimde decided to move on with the hope of landing a larger role at another school.
Djimde’s reportedly decided on a destination, as according to Scott Burgess of Chicago Hoops the big man will transfer to Southern Illinois. Djimde, who will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules, was reported back in July to have decided that he would transfer to Coastal Carolina.
Former Coastal Carolina center Sam McLaurin, who transferred to Illinois, played a role in bringing Djimde to the Conway campus. McLaurin thought Djimde’s international background would mesh well with four others with foreign backgrounds.
“I am excited. I talked to Sam (McLaurin) and (assistant coach)Mamadou (N’Diaye) and I liked it,” Djimde said by phone on Monday night.
Apparently things have changed, and his decision gives the Salukis another big man after losing Dantiel Daniels earlier in the offseason.
Daniels, who averaged 7.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game last season, transferred to Colorado State. SIU will also have to account for the loss of guard Josh Swan, who underwent career-ending knee surgery last week.
In addition to Daniels and Swan head coach Barry Hinson also has to account for the graduation of leading rebounder Jeff Early, who averaged 7.2 rebounds per game last season despite being a 6-3 guard.
The Salukis lose one front court player at the end of the 2013-14 season: 6-9 power forward Davante Drinkard, who averaged 1.9 points and 1.9 rebounds per game last season. With a season of practice the hope for Djimde is that he’ll be ready to contribute consistently once he becomes eligible in 2014.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)