Aug 18, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
In two seasons at Illinois 6-8 forward/center Ibby Djimde didn’t see much playing time, playing in just 28 games and averaging 2.9 minutes per contest. At the end of the 2012-13 season Djimde decided to move on with the hope of landing a larger role at another school.
Djimde’s reportedly decided on a destination, as according to Scott Burgess of Chicago Hoops the big man will transfer to Southern Illinois. Djimde, who will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules, was reported back in July to have decided that he would transfer to Coastal Carolina.
Former Coastal Carolina center Sam McLaurin, who transferred to Illinois, played a role in bringing Djimde to the Conway campus. McLaurin thought Djimde’s international background would mesh well with four others with foreign backgrounds.
“I am excited. I talked to Sam (McLaurin) and (assistant coach)Mamadou (N’Diaye) and I liked it,” Djimde said by phone on Monday night.
Apparently things have changed, and his decision gives the Salukis another big man after losing Dantiel Daniels earlier in the offseason.
Daniels, who averaged 7.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game last season, transferred to Colorado State. SIU will also have to account for the loss of guard Josh Swan, who underwent career-ending knee surgery last week.
In addition to Daniels and Swan head coach Barry Hinson also has to account for the graduation of leading rebounder Jeff Early, who averaged 7.2 rebounds per game last season despite being a 6-3 guard.
The Salukis lose one front court player at the end of the 2013-14 season: 6-9 power forward Davante Drinkard, who averaged 1.9 points and 1.9 rebounds per game last season. With a season of practice the hope for Djimde is that he’ll be ready to contribute consistently once he becomes eligible in 2014.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)