Aug 18, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
In two seasons at Illinois 6-8 forward/center Ibby Djimde didn’t see much playing time, playing in just 28 games and averaging 2.9 minutes per contest. At the end of the 2012-13 season Djimde decided to move on with the hope of landing a larger role at another school.
Djimde’s reportedly decided on a destination, as according to Scott Burgess of Chicago Hoops the big man will transfer to Southern Illinois. Djimde, who will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules, was reported back in July to have decided that he would transfer to Coastal Carolina.
Former Coastal Carolina center Sam McLaurin, who transferred to Illinois, played a role in bringing Djimde to the Conway campus. McLaurin thought Djimde’s international background would mesh well with four others with foreign backgrounds.
“I am excited. I talked to Sam (McLaurin) and (assistant coach)Mamadou (N’Diaye) and I liked it,” Djimde said by phone on Monday night.
Apparently things have changed, and his decision gives the Salukis another big man after losing Dantiel Daniels earlier in the offseason.
Daniels, who averaged 7.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game last season, transferred to Colorado State. SIU will also have to account for the loss of guard Josh Swan, who underwent career-ending knee surgery last week.
In addition to Daniels and Swan head coach Barry Hinson also has to account for the graduation of leading rebounder Jeff Early, who averaged 7.2 rebounds per game last season despite being a 6-3 guard.
The Salukis lose one front court player at the end of the 2013-14 season: 6-9 power forward Davante Drinkard, who averaged 1.9 points and 1.9 rebounds per game last season. With a season of practice the hope for Djimde is that he’ll be ready to contribute consistently once he becomes eligible in 2014.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)