Aug 19, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
As Oklahoma already faces questions surrounding their depth in the frontcourt for the upcoming season, they took another hit on Monday as it was announced that JUCO forward Edson Avila would not enroll at Oklahoma.
According to a report from Soonerscoop.com, Avila did not meet eligibility requirements.
“He did not meet established transfer requirements to participate during the fall 2013 semester,” OU director of media relations Mike Houck said in an email to Soonerscoop.com.
The 6’9″ Avila played his sophomore season at Seward County (Kan.) Community College and averaged 11.4 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Avila was also an All-Jayhawk second team selection.
There were questions surrounding the eligibility of Avila and fellow junior college transfer Keshaun Hamilton as they both missed summer workouts and Oklahoma’s overseas exhibition tour of Europe, but the 6’10”, 270-pound Hamilton is enrolled for the fall semester and also will serve as the Sooners’ only player taller than 6’8″
Oklahoma also has a pair of 6’8″ players — Ryan Spangler and D.J. Bennett — at forward while Cameron Clark, Tyler Neal and C.J. Clark are 6’7″ but should see time at forward as well.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)