Aug 19, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
As Oklahoma already faces questions surrounding their depth in the frontcourt for the upcoming season, they took another hit on Monday as it was announced that JUCO forward Edson Avila would not enroll at Oklahoma.
According to a report from Soonerscoop.com, Avila did not meet eligibility requirements.
“He did not meet established transfer requirements to participate during the fall 2013 semester,” OU director of media relations Mike Houck said in an email to Soonerscoop.com.
The 6’9″ Avila played his sophomore season at Seward County (Kan.) Community College and averaged 11.4 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Avila was also an All-Jayhawk second team selection.
There were questions surrounding the eligibility of Avila and fellow junior college transfer Keshaun Hamilton as they both missed summer workouts and Oklahoma’s overseas exhibition tour of Europe, but the 6’10″, 270-pound Hamilton is enrolled for the fall semester and also will serve as the Sooners’ only player taller than 6’8″
Oklahoma also has a pair of 6’8″ players — Ryan Spangler and D.J. Bennett — at forward while Cameron Clark, Tyler Neal and C.J. Clark are 6’7″ but should see time at forward as well.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)