Aug 19, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
As Oklahoma already faces questions surrounding their depth in the frontcourt for the upcoming season, they took another hit on Monday as it was announced that JUCO forward Edson Avila would not enroll at Oklahoma.
According to a report from Soonerscoop.com, Avila did not meet eligibility requirements.
“He did not meet established transfer requirements to participate during the fall 2013 semester,” OU director of media relations Mike Houck said in an email to Soonerscoop.com.
The 6’9″ Avila played his sophomore season at Seward County (Kan.) Community College and averaged 11.4 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Avila was also an All-Jayhawk second team selection.
There were questions surrounding the eligibility of Avila and fellow junior college transfer Keshaun Hamilton as they both missed summer workouts and Oklahoma’s overseas exhibition tour of Europe, but the 6’10”, 270-pound Hamilton is enrolled for the fall semester and also will serve as the Sooners’ only player taller than 6’8″
Oklahoma also has a pair of 6’8″ players — Ryan Spangler and D.J. Bennett — at forward while Cameron Clark, Tyler Neal and C.J. Clark are 6’7″ but should see time at forward as well.
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (8)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (6)