Aug 19, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
As Oklahoma already faces questions surrounding their depth in the frontcourt for the upcoming season, they took another hit on Monday as it was announced that JUCO forward Edson Avila would not enroll at Oklahoma.
According to a report from Soonerscoop.com, Avila did not meet eligibility requirements.
“He did not meet established transfer requirements to participate during the fall 2013 semester,” OU director of media relations Mike Houck said in an email to Soonerscoop.com.
The 6’9″ Avila played his sophomore season at Seward County (Kan.) Community College and averaged 11.4 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Avila was also an All-Jayhawk second team selection.
There were questions surrounding the eligibility of Avila and fellow junior college transfer Keshaun Hamilton as they both missed summer workouts and Oklahoma’s overseas exhibition tour of Europe, but the 6’10″, 270-pound Hamilton is enrolled for the fall semester and also will serve as the Sooners’ only player taller than 6’8″
Oklahoma also has a pair of 6’8″ players — Ryan Spangler and D.J. Bennett — at forward while Cameron Clark, Tyler Neal and C.J. Clark are 6’7″ but should see time at forward as well.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)