Aug 19, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Before Michael Jordan became ‘MJ’ and ‘His Airness’, the greatest basketball player of all-time was just another McDonald’s All-American recruit at North Carolina.
Given the otherworldly that Jordan became known for early in his career, it would be poetic if his first career collegiate points came on a thunderous dunk or a ridiculous finish in traffic. But it didn’t; Jordan’s first bucket as a Tar Heel came on a normal, fundamental floater after attacking a zone on the baseline.
You can watch more of Jordan’s first college game here, but in doing so, a couple of things stand out:
- When he kicked off his college career, Jordan was simply known as Mike.
- North Carolina started off the season by playing fellow Blue Blood Kansas on November 28th. That’s a full three weeks before the season starts these days.
- Basketball looked really weird before there was a three point line.
- The greatest player of all-time finished with 12 points on 5-10 shooting in his first career game.
Apr 24, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
After spending two seasons at Maryland, big man Shaquille Cleare has decided to transfer to Texas.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
UNLV junior forward Khem Birch has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 24, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
After averaging 12.5 points per game as a sophomore, San Francisco guard Avry Holmes has decided to transfer.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
Arizona State lands its seventh newcomer for the 2014-15 season as forward Willie Atwood picked the Sun Devils over Florida State and Iowa.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
The NCAA’s Board of Directors released some key decisions on Thursday.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Colorado junior guard Spencer Dinwiddie has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Dan D’Antoni spent 30 years as a high school coach in South Carolina.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
Parker is not a fan of forcing players to stay in school for two years.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
There are reports he’s already signed with an agent.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
The seven-footer will miss some time getting a torn labrum repaired.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Roy Williams is not the world’s greatest dancer.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Kentucky, Kansas and just about every elite program in the country is on the trail of the Haitian.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s pretty funnyl
Apr 24, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports, former Georgetown big Moses Ayegba has decided to transfer to Nebraska.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)