Aug 19, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
UNLV made a late addition to their 2013-2014 roster on Monday afternoon, as Jamal Aytes announced on twitter that he will be a member of Sin City’s hoops team next season.
I'm officially a UNLV Runnin' Rebel now!!!
— Jamal Aytes (@Jbabyaytes) August 19, 2013
BYU, Boston College, Gonzaga, Miami, Kansas State, Northwestern and West Virginia were among the other teams in the mix for Aytes. A 6-foot-6 bulldog in the paint, Aytes is a California native that played this summer with Dream Vision, the Vegas-based AAU team that produced Shabazz Muhammad. That same program also counts Stephen Zimmermann, one of the top five players in the Class of 2015, as a member. This summer, in Vegas, Zimmermann went head-to-head with Goodluck Okonoboh, a top 15 center in 2014, but it was Aytes that stole the show.
Rice had said that he didn’t intend to use the scholarship that was opened up with Katin Reinhardt transferred out of the program, but was his performance in that game the reason UNLV decided to change their mind?
Ayes joins Kendall Smith, Christian Wood and JuCo transfers Jelan Kendrick and DeVille Smith in UNLV’s 2013 class.
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 2
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 3
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)