Aug 19, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
UNLV made a late addition to their 2013-2014 roster on Monday afternoon, as Jamal Aytes announced on twitter that he will be a member of Sin City’s hoops team next season.
I'm officially a UNLV Runnin' Rebel now!!!
— Jamal Aytes (@Jbabyaytes) August 19, 2013
BYU, Boston College, Gonzaga, Miami, Kansas State, Northwestern and West Virginia were among the other teams in the mix for Aytes. A 6-foot-6 bulldog in the paint, Aytes is a California native that played this summer with Dream Vision, the Vegas-based AAU team that produced Shabazz Muhammad. That same program also counts Stephen Zimmermann, one of the top five players in the Class of 2015, as a member. This summer, in Vegas, Zimmermann went head-to-head with Goodluck Okonoboh, a top 15 center in 2014, but it was Aytes that stole the show.
Rice had said that he didn’t intend to use the scholarship that was opened up with Katin Reinhardt transferred out of the program, but was his performance in that game the reason UNLV decided to change their mind?
Ayes joins Kendall Smith, Christian Wood and JuCo transfers Jelan Kendrick and DeVille Smith in UNLV’s 2013 class.
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)