Aug 19, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
UNLV made a late addition to their 2013-2014 roster on Monday afternoon, as Jamal Aytes announced on twitter that he will be a member of Sin City’s hoops team next season.
I'm officially a UNLV Runnin' Rebel now!!!
— Jamal Aytes (@Jbabyaytes) August 19, 2013
BYU, Boston College, Gonzaga, Miami, Kansas State, Northwestern and West Virginia were among the other teams in the mix for Aytes. A 6-foot-6 bulldog in the paint, Aytes is a California native that played this summer with Dream Vision, the Vegas-based AAU team that produced Shabazz Muhammad. That same program also counts Stephen Zimmermann, one of the top five players in the Class of 2015, as a member. This summer, in Vegas, Zimmermann went head-to-head with Goodluck Okonoboh, a top 15 center in 2014, but it was Aytes that stole the show.
Rice had said that he didn’t intend to use the scholarship that was opened up with Katin Reinhardt transferred out of the program, but was his performance in that game the reason UNLV decided to change their mind?
Ayes joins Kendall Smith, Christian Wood and JuCo transfers Jelan Kendrick and DeVille Smith in UNLV’s 2013 class.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 6
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 6
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 68
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 16
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (68)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)