Aug 19, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
UNLV made a late addition to their 2013-2014 roster on Monday afternoon, as Jamal Aytes announced on twitter that he will be a member of Sin City’s hoops team next season.
I'm officially a UNLV Runnin' Rebel now!!!
— Jamal Aytes (@Jbabyaytes) August 19, 2013
BYU, Boston College, Gonzaga, Miami, Kansas State, Northwestern and West Virginia were among the other teams in the mix for Aytes. A 6-foot-6 bulldog in the paint, Aytes is a California native that played this summer with Dream Vision, the Vegas-based AAU team that produced Shabazz Muhammad. That same program also counts Stephen Zimmermann, one of the top five players in the Class of 2015, as a member. This summer, in Vegas, Zimmermann went head-to-head with Goodluck Okonoboh, a top 15 center in 2014, but it was Aytes that stole the show.
Rice had said that he didn’t intend to use the scholarship that was opened up with Katin Reinhardt transferred out of the program, but was his performance in that game the reason UNLV decided to change their mind?
Ayes joins Kendall Smith, Christian Wood and JuCo transfers Jelan Kendrick and DeVille Smith in UNLV’s 2013 class.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)