Aug 20, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Sam Cassell Jr., son of the 15-year NBA veteran point guard, is once again trying to get into the Division I ranks, after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA last year.
Cassell Jr. has scheduled visits for Marquette and Missouri in September, according to SNY.tv. He will be in Columbia, Mo. from Sept. 7-9, and then in Milwaukee, Wisc. the next weekend. According to SNY.tv, he is also looking at Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, USC, West Virginia, Xavier and Florida State — his father’s alma mater.
The West Baltimore native had committed to the University of Maryland, but was ruled ineligible in September. He spent a post graduate year at Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) and was one of two players — along with Xavier signee Myles Davis — to not be cleared by the NCAA. Cassell eventually landed at Chipola Junior College (Fla.), where he redshirted this past season.
The 6-foot-4 Cassell will likely be one of the more sought after junior college recruits this year with the handles — and pedigree — to play point guard and the size and shooting stroke to play off the ball.
Cassell has committed, decommitted, recommitted, and been ruled ineligible at Maryland, and in April told Matt Bracken of the Baltimore Sun that he expects the Terrapins to rejoin his recruitment.
Photo courtesy Twitter/Rick Lewis
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)