Aug 20, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Sam Cassell Jr., son of the 15-year NBA veteran point guard, is once again trying to get into the Division I ranks, after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA last year.
Cassell Jr. has scheduled visits for Marquette and Missouri in September, according to SNY.tv. He will be in Columbia, Mo. from Sept. 7-9, and then in Milwaukee, Wisc. the next weekend. According to SNY.tv, he is also looking at Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, USC, West Virginia, Xavier and Florida State — his father’s alma mater.
The West Baltimore native had committed to the University of Maryland, but was ruled ineligible in September. He spent a post graduate year at Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) and was one of two players — along with Xavier signee Myles Davis — to not be cleared by the NCAA. Cassell eventually landed at Chipola Junior College (Fla.), where he redshirted this past season.
The 6-foot-4 Cassell will likely be one of the more sought after junior college recruits this year with the handles — and pedigree — to play point guard and the size and shooting stroke to play off the ball.
Cassell has committed, decommitted, recommitted, and been ruled ineligible at Maryland, and in April told Matt Bracken of the Baltimore Sun that he expects the Terrapins to rejoin his recruitment.
Photo courtesy Twitter/Rick Lewis
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)