Aug 20, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Sam Cassell Jr., son of the 15-year NBA veteran point guard, is once again trying to get into the Division I ranks, after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA last year.
Cassell Jr. has scheduled visits for Marquette and Missouri in September, according to SNY.tv. He will be in Columbia, Mo. from Sept. 7-9, and then in Milwaukee, Wisc. the next weekend. According to SNY.tv, he is also looking at Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, USC, West Virginia, Xavier and Florida State — his father’s alma mater.
The West Baltimore native had committed to the University of Maryland, but was ruled ineligible in September. He spent a post graduate year at Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) and was one of two players — along with Xavier signee Myles Davis — to not be cleared by the NCAA. Cassell eventually landed at Chipola Junior College (Fla.), where he redshirted this past season.
The 6-foot-4 Cassell will likely be one of the more sought after junior college recruits this year with the handles — and pedigree — to play point guard and the size and shooting stroke to play off the ball.
Cassell has committed, decommitted, recommitted, and been ruled ineligible at Maryland, and in April told Matt Bracken of the Baltimore Sun that he expects the Terrapins to rejoin his recruitment.
Photo courtesy Twitter/Rick Lewis
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- The Chase for 180: Karvel Anderson leads shorthanded Robert Morris to NEC crown 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)