Aug 20, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Sam Cassell Jr., son of the 15-year NBA veteran point guard, is once again trying to get into the Division I ranks, after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA last year.
Cassell Jr. has scheduled visits for Marquette and Missouri in September, according to SNY.tv. He will be in Columbia, Mo. from Sept. 7-9, and then in Milwaukee, Wisc. the next weekend. According to SNY.tv, he is also looking at Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, USC, West Virginia, Xavier and Florida State — his father’s alma mater.
The West Baltimore native had committed to the University of Maryland, but was ruled ineligible in September. He spent a post graduate year at Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) and was one of two players — along with Xavier signee Myles Davis — to not be cleared by the NCAA. Cassell eventually landed at Chipola Junior College (Fla.), where he redshirted this past season.
The 6-foot-4 Cassell will likely be one of the more sought after junior college recruits this year with the handles — and pedigree — to play point guard and the size and shooting stroke to play off the ball.
Cassell has committed, decommitted, recommitted, and been ruled ineligible at Maryland, and in April told Matt Bracken of the Baltimore Sun that he expects the Terrapins to rejoin his recruitment.
Photo courtesy Twitter/Rick Lewis
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)