Aug 20, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
Kerwin Okoro has had a waiver to gain immediate eligibility at Rutgers denied by the NCAA, according to a report from Tom Luicci of the Newark Star-Ledger.
Okoro is a product of St. Raymond’s (NYC) that spent his freshman season at Iowa State, but he only mustered an average of 3.6 points and missed 14 games.
The reason? Okoro’s father died as a result of a stroke and his brother, who was just 28, passed away after battling colon cancer during the season, which is why he decided to transfer closer to home and applied for the waiver.
Rutgers is appealing the decision. Okoro has three years of eligibility remaining.
The Scarlet Knights are also waiting to hear back from the NCAA regarding the eligibility of 6-foot-6 wing JJ Moore, a transfer that spent the past three seasons at Pitt. If neither player is granted immediate eligibility, Rutgers, who was already going to have a thin roster thanks to the post-Mike Rice defections, will lose some much-needed perimeter depth.
One more moving part for Rutgers is incoming freshman Junior Etou. A top 150 prospect, according to Rivals, Etou has yet to make his way through the NCAA’s Eligibility Center.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)