Aug 20, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
Houston may have lost Joseph Young to a transfer, but thanks to a bit of good news on Tuesday, the Cougars should be just fine at the lead guard spot.
LJ Rose has been granted a waiver and will be eligible to play immediately for James Dickey’s club, according to a report from ESPN’s Jason King. Rose’s mother is battling lupus in his hometown of Houston. NBCSports.com confirmed the report through a source.
Rose spent his freshman season at Baylor, where he averaged just 0.9 points a season ago backing up Pierre Jackson and AJ Walton. But with those two graduating, it appeared that the former top 100 recruit was in line to see more minutes this season.
Houston is going to be a team to keep an eye on this season. Rose is the third top 100 recruit from the Class of 2012 on the roster, while TaShawn Thomas, a rising junior that averaged 16.8 points and 9.5 boards last season, was a top 100 player in 2011.
Danuel House, a borderline top 25 recruit that averaged 12.4 points as a freshman at Houston, returns this season while Chicken Knowles, who chose the Cougars over, among other, Louisville, will be eligible this year.
Throw in returning sophomore Jherrod Stiggers, and the Cougars have a young-but-promising core to build around. They may not compete for the AAC title with the likes of Louisville, UConn and Memphis this season, but Dickey has his team in position to be quite relevant in the league race for the next couple of seasons.
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 0
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)