Aug 20, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
Houston may have lost Joseph Young to a transfer, but thanks to a bit of good news on Tuesday, the Cougars should be just fine at the lead guard spot.
LJ Rose has been granted a waiver and will be eligible to play immediately for James Dickey’s club, according to a report from ESPN’s Jason King. Rose’s mother is battling lupus in his hometown of Houston. NBCSports.com confirmed the report through a source.
Rose spent his freshman season at Baylor, where he averaged just 0.9 points a season ago backing up Pierre Jackson and AJ Walton. But with those two graduating, it appeared that the former top 100 recruit was in line to see more minutes this season.
Houston is going to be a team to keep an eye on this season. Rose is the third top 100 recruit from the Class of 2012 on the roster, while TaShawn Thomas, a rising junior that averaged 16.8 points and 9.5 boards last season, was a top 100 player in 2011.
Danuel House, a borderline top 25 recruit that averaged 12.4 points as a freshman at Houston, returns this season while Chicken Knowles, who chose the Cougars over, among other, Louisville, will be eligible this year.
Throw in returning sophomore Jherrod Stiggers, and the Cougars have a young-but-promising core to build around. They may not compete for the AAC title with the likes of Louisville, UConn and Memphis this season, but Dickey has his team in position to be quite relevant in the league race for the next couple of seasons.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)