Aug 20, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
Houston may have lost Joseph Young to a transfer, but thanks to a bit of good news on Tuesday, the Cougars should be just fine at the lead guard spot.
LJ Rose has been granted a waiver and will be eligible to play immediately for James Dickey’s club, according to a report from ESPN’s Jason King. Rose’s mother is battling lupus in his hometown of Houston. NBCSports.com confirmed the report through a source.
Rose spent his freshman season at Baylor, where he averaged just 0.9 points a season ago backing up Pierre Jackson and AJ Walton. But with those two graduating, it appeared that the former top 100 recruit was in line to see more minutes this season.
Houston is going to be a team to keep an eye on this season. Rose is the third top 100 recruit from the Class of 2012 on the roster, while TaShawn Thomas, a rising junior that averaged 16.8 points and 9.5 boards last season, was a top 100 player in 2011.
Danuel House, a borderline top 25 recruit that averaged 12.4 points as a freshman at Houston, returns this season while Chicken Knowles, who chose the Cougars over, among other, Louisville, will be eligible this year.
Throw in returning sophomore Jherrod Stiggers, and the Cougars have a young-but-promising core to build around. They may not compete for the AAC title with the likes of Louisville, UConn and Memphis this season, but Dickey has his team in position to be quite relevant in the league race for the next couple of seasons.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)