Aug 20, 2013, 9:17 AM EDT
On Tuesday morning, ESPN.com’s Andy Katz reported that troubled Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson is expected to return to class next week when the fall semester starts.
While Henderson will be returning to class, he has yet to be reinstated by head coach Andy Kennedy, per Katz. The plan is for Henderson to get back into school and work on earning back the trust of his coaches, teammates and school officials, although that seems like a politically correct way of saying ‘we’re not kicking him off, but we’re making it look like he’s earning his way back’.
I still believe that this is the right decision by Kennedy, I just hope that he’s putting in the work — and ensuring that Henderson is putting in the work — to get him healthy. I’ve said this before: I don’t believe that Henderson’s issues are simply being a frat boy that parties too much. I don’t think Chris Herren would be called in if this was just a case of a punk kid ignoring rules.
Kennedy’s first goal should be to get Henderson clean, ensure that he graduates and help him work into becoming a productive member of society. If using a return to the team as a reward for Henderson getting his [stuff] together, I can’t see how that’s a bad thing.
UPDATE: Mike DeCourcy caught up with Andy Kennedy on Tuesday, and this is what he had to say:
“He will miss games,” Kennedy told Sporting News. “The extent of that is yet to be determined as we go through this process.”
Henderson’s indefinite suspension was announced July 10. Kennedy said a plan was put in place at that point through the university administration for Henderson to return to full status with the Rebels.
“From the time I suspended him, he’s been 100 percent compliant with the plan,” Kennedy said. “And our hope is he will continue to make the strides necessary to get back on the court.”
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)