Aug 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
TCU rising junior forward Devonta Abron’s 2013-2014 season is over before it began.
On Tuesday, TCU head coach Trent Johnson informed ESPN Insider Jeff Goodman that Abron had torn his Achilles in the team’s final game of the Horned Frogs trip in Canada. Johnson told ESPN that recovery for this season-ending injury is about five to six months.
Abron was the team’s top returning rebounder, averaging 7.4 points and 5.9 rebounds per game in his first season with TCU. The 6-foot-8 Abron transferred from Arkansas after his freshman season, but avoided sitting out this past season because his transfer was the result of a health issue with a relative in the Dallas area.
According to Goodman, Abron was expected to be a full-time starter this season. The loss of Abron is impacted even more following more news that came out on Tuesday. Karviar Shepard, a TCU 2013 commit and four-star center, has yet to be cleared by the NCAA. Shepard and LSU signee Jordan Mickey — who both attended Deion Sanders’ Prime Prep Academy in Dallas — were both initially ruled ineligible.
On the bright side, the Horned Frogs return leading scorer Kyan Anderson (12 PPG). Also, Amric Fields, who played in only three games last season, is returning from a knee injury. Aaron Durley, a 6-foot-10 redshirt, is also returning from an injury-plagued 2012-2013 season.
TCU finished 11-21, last in the Big 12, this past season.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)