Aug 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
TCU rising junior forward Devonta Abron’s 2013-2014 season is over before it began.
On Tuesday, TCU head coach Trent Johnson informed ESPN Insider Jeff Goodman that Abron had torn his Achilles in the team’s final game of the Horned Frogs trip in Canada. Johnson told ESPN that recovery for this season-ending injury is about five to six months.
Abron was the team’s top returning rebounder, averaging 7.4 points and 5.9 rebounds per game in his first season with TCU. The 6-foot-8 Abron transferred from Arkansas after his freshman season, but avoided sitting out this past season because his transfer was the result of a health issue with a relative in the Dallas area.
According to Goodman, Abron was expected to be a full-time starter this season. The loss of Abron is impacted even more following more news that came out on Tuesday. Karviar Shepard, a TCU 2013 commit and four-star center, has yet to be cleared by the NCAA. Shepard and LSU signee Jordan Mickey — who both attended Deion Sanders’ Prime Prep Academy in Dallas — were both initially ruled ineligible.
On the bright side, the Horned Frogs return leading scorer Kyan Anderson (12 PPG). Also, Amric Fields, who played in only three games last season, is returning from a knee injury. Aaron Durley, a 6-foot-10 redshirt, is also returning from an injury-plagued 2012-2013 season.
TCU finished 11-21, last in the Big 12, this past season.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)