Aug 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Tubby Smith is headed back to Kentucky, and this time it’s permanent.
The former Wildcat head coach has been chosen as one of six members of the new Kentucky Hall of Fame class.
Smith took over for Rick Pitino at Kentucky for the 1997-1998 season and went on to win the national title that year. He would end up winning five SEC regular season and five SEC tournament titles before eventually being forced out in 2007.
Smith is currently the head coach at Texas Tech.
The only other member of Kentucky’s basketball program that will be enshrined is Rex Chapman. Rex was a high school legend in Owensboro, KY, before becoming a member of Big Blue Nation in the mid-80’s. He scored 1,073 points in his two seasons in Lexington before heading off to the NBA, where he was the No. 8 pick in the draft and hung around the league for 12 years.
So Tubby, how do you feel about making the Hall of Fame with Rex Chapman?
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)