Aug 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Tubby Smith is headed back to Kentucky, and this time it’s permanent.
The former Wildcat head coach has been chosen as one of six members of the new Kentucky Hall of Fame class.
Smith took over for Rick Pitino at Kentucky for the 1997-1998 season and went on to win the national title that year. He would end up winning five SEC regular season and five SEC tournament titles before eventually being forced out in 2007.
Smith is currently the head coach at Texas Tech.
The only other member of Kentucky’s basketball program that will be enshrined is Rex Chapman. Rex was a high school legend in Owensboro, KY, before becoming a member of Big Blue Nation in the mid-80’s. He scored 1,073 points in his two seasons in Lexington before heading off to the NBA, where he was the No. 8 pick in the draft and hung around the league for 12 years.
So Tubby, how do you feel about making the Hall of Fame with Rex Chapman?
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 6
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)