Aug 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Tubby Smith is headed back to Kentucky, and this time it’s permanent.
The former Wildcat head coach has been chosen as one of six members of the new Kentucky Hall of Fame class.
Smith took over for Rick Pitino at Kentucky for the 1997-1998 season and went on to win the national title that year. He would end up winning five SEC regular season and five SEC tournament titles before eventually being forced out in 2007.
Smith is currently the head coach at Texas Tech.
The only other member of Kentucky’s basketball program that will be enshrined is Rex Chapman. Rex was a high school legend in Owensboro, KY, before becoming a member of Big Blue Nation in the mid-80′s. He scored 1,073 points in his two seasons in Lexington before heading off to the NBA, where he was the No. 8 pick in the draft and hung around the league for 12 years.
So Tubby, how do you feel about making the Hall of Fame with Rex Chapman?
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)