Aug 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Tubby Smith is headed back to Kentucky, and this time it’s permanent.
The former Wildcat head coach has been chosen as one of six members of the new Kentucky Hall of Fame class.
Smith took over for Rick Pitino at Kentucky for the 1997-1998 season and went on to win the national title that year. He would end up winning five SEC regular season and five SEC tournament titles before eventually being forced out in 2007.
Smith is currently the head coach at Texas Tech.
The only other member of Kentucky’s basketball program that will be enshrined is Rex Chapman. Rex was a high school legend in Owensboro, KY, before becoming a member of Big Blue Nation in the mid-80′s. He scored 1,073 points in his two seasons in Lexington before heading off to the NBA, where he was the No. 8 pick in the draft and hung around the league for 12 years.
So Tubby, how do you feel about making the Hall of Fame with Rex Chapman?
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)