Aug 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Tubby Smith is headed back to Kentucky, and this time it’s permanent.
The former Wildcat head coach has been chosen as one of six members of the new Kentucky Hall of Fame class.
Smith took over for Rick Pitino at Kentucky for the 1997-1998 season and went on to win the national title that year. He would end up winning five SEC regular season and five SEC tournament titles before eventually being forced out in 2007.
Smith is currently the head coach at Texas Tech.
The only other member of Kentucky’s basketball program that will be enshrined is Rex Chapman. Rex was a high school legend in Owensboro, KY, before becoming a member of Big Blue Nation in the mid-80’s. He scored 1,073 points in his two seasons in Lexington before heading off to the NBA, where he was the No. 8 pick in the draft and hung around the league for 12 years.
So Tubby, how do you feel about making the Hall of Fame with Rex Chapman?
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (5)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)