Aug 20, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
Texas freshman forward Ioannis Papapetrou averaged 8.3 points and 4.4 rebounds per game this past season in Austin. Now the Athens native is taking his talents back overseas, signing with the Euroleague champion, Olympiacos B.C.
This report came from a tweet from EuroHoops.net on Tuesday afternoon.
Back in July, the two-time defending Euroleague champions offered a five-year contract to the 6-foot-8 Papapetrou. This came after he averaged 15.9 points and 5.3 rebounds per game for the Greek Under-20 national team that finished fifth in Under-20 European Championships.
This is the latest loss for head coach Rick Barnes. Last season was chalk full of them. The Longhorns finished 16-18 (7-11 Big 12). Following the end of the season, Texas’ leading scorer Myck Kabango declared for the NBA Draft. Sophomore guards Sheldon McClellan and Julien Lewis, the team’s second and third leading scorers, both decided to transfer. McClellan to Miami and Lewis to Fresno State.
Papapetrou was the team’s fourth leading scorer, which means about 72 percent of Texas’ scoring won’t be there this fall.
Texas’ roster will be young … real young. Jonathan Holmes, a junior forward, is the only upperclassmen on the roster. Point guard Javan Felix and center Cameron Ridley are back for sophomore seasons. Texas adds a pair of four-star guards in incoming freshmen Demarcus Croaker and Kendal Yancy-Harris.
According to Mark Rosner of the Austin American-Statesman, as of 4:18 p.m. the University of Texas has not informed on Papapetrou’s decision.
[UPDATE: 7:21 p.m.]: Rosner has received confirmation from Texas. Papapetrou has signed with Olympiacos:
UT confirms that Papapetrou has said he is turning pro
— Mark Rosner (@MarkRosnerAAS) August 20, 2013
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)